Mechanical Vibrations - Linear Combinations

In summary, the problem is to determine the value of \(\omega_0\), R, and \(\delta\) in order to write the given expression \(u=4\cos(3t)-2\sin(3t)\) in the form \(u=R\cos(\omega_0 t-\delta)\). The solution involves using the angle-difference identity for cosine and comparing it to the desired form, resulting in the equations \(R\cos(\delta)=4\), \(R\sin(\delta)=-2\), and \(\omega_0=3\). By squaring the first two equations and adding them, we get \(R^2=20\), which can be simplified to \(R
alane1994
The title may be incorrect, I named this after the section of my book in which this is located.

My problem is as follows.

Determine \(\omega_0\), R, and \(\delta\) so as to write the given expression in the form
\(u=R\cos(\omega_0 t-\delta)\)

\(\color{blue}{u=4\cos(3t)-2\sin(3t)},~\text{My Problem}\)

I know that,

\(u(t)=A\cos(\omega_0 t)+B\sin(\omega_0 t)\)\(\omega_0=\sqrt{\dfrac{k}{m}}\)

\(A=R\cos(\delta),~~B=R\sin(\delta)~~\Rightarrow~R=\sqrt{A^2+B^2},~\tan(\delta)=\dfrac{B}{A}\)

So that means that,
\(\omega_0=3\)

\(A=4\)

\(B=-2\)

\(R=2\sqrt{5}\)

\(\delta=\tan^{-1}(\dfrac{-2}{4})\approx-.463648\)

Now I am a little confused as to where to go from here. Any thoughts?ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
Would I then just plug in the values into the desired format above?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
alane1994 said:
The title may be incorrect, I named this after the section of my book in which this is located.

My problem is as follows.

Determine \(\omega_0\), R, and \(\delta\) so as to write the given expression in the form
\(u=R\cos(\omega_0 t-\delta)\)

\(\color{blue}{u=4\cos(3t)-2\sin(3t)},~\text{My Problem}\)

I know that,

\(u(t)=A\cos(\omega_0 t)+B\sin(\omega_0 t)\)\(\omega_0=\sqrt{\dfrac{k}{m}}\)

\(A=R\cos(\delta),~~B=R\sin(\delta)~~\Rightarrow~R=\sqrt{A^2+B^2},~\tan(\delta)=\dfrac{B}{A}\)

So that means that,
\(\omega_0=3\)

\(A=4\)

\(B=-2\)

\(R=2\sqrt{5}\)

\(\delta=\tan^{-1}(\dfrac{-2}{4})\approx-.463648\)

Now I am a little confused as to where to go from here. Any thoughts?ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
Would I then just plug in the values into the desired format above?
Looks good. One note: When I graphed these (easiest way to check) I needed several more digits for the phase shift to make it work right.

-Dan

Is the phase shift the \(\delta\)?

I have moved this topic to our Trigonometry sub-forum since the problem, while it comes from an application of a second order linear ODE, involves only trigonometry. I have also edited the title.

We want to express the solution:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=4\cos(3t)-2\sin(3t)\)

in the form:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=R\cos(\omega_0 t-\delta)\)

I would use the angle-difference identity for cosine to write:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=R\left(\cos(\omega_0 t)\cos(\delta)+\sin(\omega_0 t)\sin(\delta) \right)\)

Distributing the $R$, we have:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=R\cos(\omega_0 t)\cos(\delta)+R\sin(\omega_0 t)\sin(\delta)\)

Comparison of this with the desired form, we find:

\(\displaystyle R\cos(\delta)=4\)

\(\displaystyle R\sin(\delta)=-2\)

\(\displaystyle \omega_0=3\)

Squaring the first two equations, and adding, we get:

\(\displaystyle R^2=20\implies\,R=2\sqrt{5}\)

Dividing the second equation by the first, we find:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\delta)=-\frac{1}{2}\implies\delta=-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right)\)

and so we may state:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=2\sqrt{5}\cos\left(3t+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right) \right)\)

Ok, so you do just plug them back into the friendly equation from earlier in the problem!
I need to stop over-thinking things, it just seemed too easy for a course of this level :P

alane1994 said:
Ok, so you do just plug them back into the friendly equation from earlier in the problem!
I need to stop over-thinking things, it just seemed too easy for a course of this level :P

Yes, you did everything correctly, the only thing I would have done further is reduce the argument of the inverse tangent function and avoided using a decimal approximation for the resulting angle $\delta$.

Technically, I should have written:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=2\sqrt{5}\cos\left(3t-\left(-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right) \right) \right)\)

alane1994 said:
Is the phase shift the \(\delta\)?
Yup!

-Dan

topsquark said:
Yup!

-Dan

I believe the phase shift would actually be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\delta}{\omega_0}\)

which can be seen by writing the solution in the form:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=R\cos\left(\omega_0\left(t-\frac{\delta}{\omega_0} \right) \right)\)

MarkFL said:
I believe the phase shift would actually be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\delta}{\omega_0}\)

which can be seen by writing the solution in the form:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=R\cos\left(\omega_0\left(t-\frac{\delta}{\omega_0} \right) \right)\)
(Ahem!) That's one on MHF and now one on MHB. I'm going to bed.

Thanks for the catch.

-Dan

Related to Mechanical Vibrations - Linear Combinations

1. What are mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations refer to the movement of an object or system around an equilibrium point. This can occur due to external forces or internal characteristics of the object or system.

2. What are linear combinations in mechanical vibrations?

Linear combinations in mechanical vibrations involve combining two or more individual vibrations to produce a new vibration. This is often used to analyze complex systems and predict their behavior.

3. How do you calculate linear combinations in mechanical vibrations?

To calculate linear combinations in mechanical vibrations, you must first determine the individual vibrations and their corresponding amplitudes, frequencies, and phases. Then, using mathematical equations, you can combine these vibrations to determine the resulting vibration.

4. What are the applications of linear combinations in mechanical vibrations?

Linear combinations in mechanical vibrations have a wide range of applications, including structural analysis, noise reduction, and vibration control in engineering and design. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, music, and electronics.

5. How do linear combinations affect the behavior of mechanical systems?

Linear combinations can significantly impact the behavior of mechanical systems. By combining different vibrations, engineers and scientists can predict the response of a system to external forces, determine resonance frequencies, and design systems with specific properties and characteristics.