Mechanical Physics for the sake of Horology

In summary, mechanical physics is a crucial aspect of horology, the study of timekeeping and the art of clock and watchmaking. It involves the principles of mechanics, such as energy, motion, and force, to understand the workings of timekeeping mechanisms. Mechanical physics is essential for creating accurate and reliable timepieces, from simple pendulum clocks to intricate mechanical watches. It also plays a significant role in the maintenance and repair of these timepieces. Understanding the principles of mechanical physics is crucial for horologists to design, build, and maintain precise timekeeping devices.
Nick Amos
My Introduction

-Berklee Grad
-Machinist
-Father of two
-HUGE horology nerd

In joining this website I hope to gain some deeper understanding of the mathematics and predicted behaviors of a Spherical Pendulum. I stumbled across a physics paper, several actually on the subject that peaked my interest but they're loaded with more information than I can digest. I also hope to connect with others who have experience with programs like Wolfram or MapleSoft (or others) so that I can visualize, customize conditions, and record my explorations into the subject.

I'm very interested in designing and building a new type of mechanical clock that exploits specific traits of the spherical pendulum system to achieve accurate(TBD) levels of timekeeping.

If you have any advice or a solid direction to point me into I will be eager to read on and keep digging at these subjects.

Likes Janosh89
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Nick!