Mechanical or Electronics and Communications?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing higher studies in physics and is torn between choosing a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electronics and Communications Engineering. They are interested in both fields, but lean towards electronics due to its connection with physics and the prevalence of electronics in modern inventions. They are also considering the option of studying mechanical engineering and then specializing in mechatronics, or pursuing a master's degree in electronics after clearing some exams. Additionally, the individual's personal relationship with their girlfriend in Norway is a factor in their decision-making. The conversation also touches on the job prospects of both fields and the fact that the individual's physics education may be more relevant in mechanical engineering. Ultimately, they are advised to follow their interests and passions in making their decision.
Natcu
As I want to do higher studies in physics ( and unable to get a good Bsc (hons.) physics program) which Engineering should I choose Mechanical or Electronics and communications?

From what I hear ECE guys end up doing software jobs after their graduation and Mech has better chance of doing actual Engineering and R&D (In which my interest lies), ECE on the other hand has good programs at master's level, VLSI, Embedded systems and the main thing is that a physics degree will actually help me with my electronics career as well.

As of my interests: I find both Mechanical and electronics interesting, though I am slightly leaned towards electronics only because of the physics it offers and the fact that most inventions are done in electronics related things these days.

As a mechanical engineer I don't think my physics education will help and I will probably wind up leaving mechanical engineering for Physics

Another thing I could do is to go with Mechanical and then Mechatronics to gain sufficient knowledge in electronics or I could just get a master's in electronics after clearing some exams, (it is possible and people have done it)

Another thing is that my girlfriend lives in Norway and I want to live there with her, so which is in demand there? (I know it's not the perfect way to choose career but still! )

What do I do!.. ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical.

Likes atyy and Natcu
analogdesign said:
Electrical.

care to elaborate? :P

Natcu said:
care to elaborate? :P

haha I was being snarky because Dr. Courtney was being snarky. :)

I'm an EE and none of my EE friends have software jobs (I mean a job where software is the focus). We all do R&D and some of us do research. That said, writing programs is an important tool in EE. I write hardware descriptions of digital circuits in Verilog, write programs to communicate with ICs in python, write scripts in bash and TCL to control simulators, that type of thing. I'm not sure if you hate programming or you just didn't want it to be your focus.

I have one friend who is an ME and he really enjoys his job as well, so I think both EE and ME are good choices. They have a very different "flavor" though. Have you taken any engineering classes yet? Typically the first couple of years are foundation years where all engineers take some classes in statics and dynamics, circuits, thermodynamics, that type of thing. After two years of that you will know much better if you love EE and hate ME or vice versa.

Likes atyy
analogdesign said:
haha I was being snarky because Dr. Courtney was being snarky. :)

Not being snarky. Just concise. I honestly believe Mechanical would be the better path to graduate work in Physics.

Electronics and communications would leave one well short on the PGRE and likely in math as well.

Do what interests you most. Both ME and EE have good job prospects, so quit worrying about that and do what your heart tells you to do.

Likes Natcu

Related to Mechanical or Electronics and Communications?

1. What is the difference between Mechanical and Electronics and Communications engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, while Electronics and Communications engineering focuses on the design and development of electronic devices, communication systems, and computer networks.

2. Which field has better job prospects, Mechanical or Electronics and Communications?

Both fields have excellent job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and skills. Mechanical engineers may find more opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace, while Electronics and Communications engineers may find more opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware, and software development.

3. What are the core subjects in Mechanical engineering?

The core subjects in Mechanical engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, materials science, and machine design. These subjects are essential for understanding the principles and applications of mechanical systems.

4. What are the core subjects in Electronics and Communications engineering?

The core subjects in Electronics and Communications engineering include circuit theory, electronic devices, signals and systems, digital logic design, and communication systems. These subjects are essential for understanding the principles and applications of electronic devices and communication systems.

5. Which field requires more hands-on work, Mechanical or Electronics and Communications?

Both fields require a mix of theoretical knowledge and hands-on work. However, Mechanical engineering generally involves more physical prototyping and testing, while Electronics and Communications engineering involves more computer simulations and programming. Ultimately, the amount of hands-on work depends on the specific job or project in each field.