Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on mechatronics?

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering student in Brazil who initially wanted to specialize in aerospace engineering but has recently become interested in computer programming. They are considering switching to a field like mechatronics that combines their interests, but are unsure if it is the best decision. They are also wondering if programming skills would be useful in other fields of mechanical engineering and if it would help them in the job market. The conversation suggests that programming skills are useful in fields that involve numerical modeling and test and measurement, but may not be as closely related to mechatronics. It is recommended to consult with faculty and engineers familiar with the local job market before making a decision.
vinicius0197
Hey guys. I'm graduating in mechanical engineering at a university in Brazil. I'm currently on my second semester.
I've started running after a mechanical engineering degree mostly because I've got a strong interest in the field of aircraft engineering, and my initial plan was to graduate in mechanical engineering and then specialize myself in aerospace engineering.
But so, I have just started taking classes on computer programmation this month and I quickly developed a huge interest in the area. I've found out that maybe the area of mechatronics will be better suited for me, and yet, I don't find myself secure enough to change course. I really don't know if this is the better idea, and I've been thinking about finishing my degree at mechanics and then get a specialization (like a master's degree) in some field related to mechatronics, where I could use programmation and other stuff that attracts me in this area. Would this be a good idea? What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Job markets tend to be local, so if your question is "will the change help me get a job" you should talk with faculty and engineers more familiar with your local job markets.

Supply is not meeting demand in most areas of engineering, but it is a good idea to conform local demand before switching areas.

Likes vinicius0197
Ok, but there are any fields in mechanical engineering where programming skills would be really useful on a daily basis?

vinicius0197 said:
Ok, but there are any fields in mechanical engineering where programming skills would be really useful on a daily basis?

Most fields that are computationally intensive (numerical modeling) require programming skills on a daily or weekly basis.

There are also jobs that are test and measurement intensive where some programming is often involved to reconfigure the test system for the current experiments.

I don't see any close connection between computing and mechatronics. Yes, mechatronics uses computation, but it uses a lot more logic, electronic controls, and dynamics, as I see it.

Related to Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on mechatronics?

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and mechatronics?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mechatronics, on the other hand, is a specialized field that combines mechanical engineering, electronics, and computer science to create intelligent systems.

2. What are the main applications of mechatronics?

Mechatronics has a wide range of applications in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and healthcare. It is used to design and control complex systems such as robots, automated machinery, and medical devices.

3. What skills are required for a career in mechatronics?

A career in mechatronics requires a strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles, as well as knowledge of electronics, computer science, and control systems. Good problem-solving, analytical, and programming skills are also essential.

4. What are some current advancements in mechatronics?

Some current advancements in mechatronics include the development of autonomous vehicles, smart home systems, and wearable technology. There is also ongoing research in the field of biologically inspired mechatronic systems.

5. How can I prepare for a career in mechatronics?

To prepare for a career in mechatronics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. Pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering with a specialization in mechatronics is also a good option. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or projects can be beneficial.