Mechanical engineering - Cam Laws - Ct Accel.

In summary, according to the author, the "fall" part of a cam's displacement, velocity, and acceleration would be opposite to the "rise" part.
sicro

Homework Statement

If you could please tell me the "fall" laws for displacement, velocity and acceleration for a cam with constant acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could only manage to find the laws for the rising part, in a 1996 book.

Didnt find the laws on google either. Just mentions of the existence of the constant acceleration motion law.

Thank you! And I am sorry if my English isn't very good.. I am from Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sicro said:

Homework Statement

If you could please tell me the "fall" laws for displacement, velocity and acceleration for a cam with constant acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could only manage to find the laws for the rising part, in a 1996 book.

Didnt find the laws on google either. Just mentions of the existence of the constant acceleration motion law.

Thank you! And I am sorry if my English isn't very good.. I am from Eastern Europe.
I'm not an expert on cams, so i'll defer to the experts on this. But in my opinion, i would think that the 'fall' part would be just the reverse of the rise part: During the 'rise', the acceleration is constant positive over the first half of the rise, with increasing positive velocity and displacement, and with constant negative acceleration over the 2nd half of the rise, but with decreasing positive velocity, and with positive displacement. During the 'fall', the acceleration is constant negative (downward) over the first half of the fall, with increasing negative (downward) velocity and displacement, and with constant positive (upward) acceleration over the 2nd half of the rise, but with decreasing velocity, and with downward displacement. Just my thoughts; I actually wanted to comment on your English, which, like Mozart's music, is literally perfect!

Thank you very much for your reply!:)

Yes, you are right that the fall is opposite to the rise, but I don't know how to "mirror" the laws.

For ex: Displacement: Xe= (Xemax/((1-ki)*(Xi)1^2))*(-ki*(Xi)1^2+2*(Xi)1*Xi-Xi^2)

Xe=movement[rad], Xemax=max value for Xe [rad], Xi=current angle of rotation [rad], Xi1=total angle of rotation for rise/dwell or fall. (in this case Rise), k1=point where the "bend" of the curve-in the chart- changes- in my case it is Xemax/2;

So, to reverse that, I don't know what I must do...

Sicro: Since I'm not going to be of too much help, you might want to start a new post with the same question, because responders often look for questions with zero replies, and your question in this post might therefore soon get lost in the abyss. Good luck!

Related to Mechanical engineering - Cam Laws - Ct Accel.

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems. This can include machines, engines, and other devices that utilize mechanical principles to function.

2. What are Cam Laws?

Cam laws refer to the mathematical equations and principles used to design and analyze the motion of cams, which are rotating or sliding mechanisms used to convert rotary motion into linear motion.

3. How do Cam Laws relate to mechanical engineering?

Cam laws are an important aspect of mechanical engineering, particularly for the design and analysis of machines and mechanisms. Understanding cam laws allows engineers to optimize the performance and efficiency of mechanical systems.

4. What is Ct Accel?

Ct Accel, or cam translation acceleration, is a measure of the rate of change of cam lift with respect to time. It is an important factor in the design of cams and can affect the performance and durability of mechanical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of Cam Laws and Ct Accel?

Cam laws and Ct Accel are used in a variety of mechanical systems, such as engines, pumps, and robotics. They are also used in manufacturing processes, such as in the production of automobiles and other machinery.