Mechanical Energy of a Physical Pendulum

In summary, the mechanical energy of the pendulum is 7.83 x 10^-4 J when it is displaced 0.1 rad before it is released.
eurekameh
http://img196.imageshack.us/i/unledup.png/
So we have a physical pendulum. It has a mass of m=200 g and radius 10 cm. It's suspended from point O at a distance h=8 cm. from center C. It is displaced 0.1 rad and released from rest at t=0.

I'm struggling to find the mechanical energy of this pendulum. When it is displaced 0.1 rad before it is released, its mechanical energy is all in the form of potential energy U=mgy.

I've been working on this for a while now; I feel like this should be an easy problem and I'm overthinking it, but I'm making really complicated triangles and doing things like cos(0.1)=x/(R+h) and then (R+h) - x to find y. I'm not getting the correct answer though, which is 7.83 x 10^-4 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using polar coordinates?

Nope, didn't think we'd need to. This is for a general physics 1 class.

Ah, I see, I misread. I thought you were looking for equations of motion. Sorry about that. So, what is suspended from O, the mass? What answer are you getting?

O is the point of rotation. I am getting 1.76 x 10^-3 J.

eurekameh said:
When it is displaced 0.1 rad before it is released, its mechanical energy is all in the form of potential energy U=mgy.

I've been working on this for a while now; I feel like this should be an easy problem and I'm overthinking it, but I'm making really complicated triangles and doing things like cos(0.1)=x/(R+h) and then (R+h) - x to find y. I'm not getting the correct answer though, which is 7.83 x 10^-4 J.

Hope it works out when you come back after mind-clearing. Think your triangles should be leading you to sines rather than cosines. If all else fails, and as a check anyway, this is a smallish angle, and the sine of a small angle is approximately equal to the angle (in radians).

Related to Mechanical Energy of a Physical Pendulum

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a system consisting of a rigid body that is free to rotate around a fixed axis. It is different from a simple pendulum, which consists of a mass suspended by a string, as the physical pendulum has a more complex shape and can exhibit more complicated motion.

2. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. In the case of a physical pendulum, it is the energy associated with the rotational motion of the pendulum.

3. How is the mechanical energy of a physical pendulum calculated?

The mechanical energy of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. For a physical pendulum, the kinetic energy is given by 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The potential energy is given by mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the center of mass of the pendulum.

4. What factors affect the mechanical energy of a physical pendulum?

The mechanical energy of a physical pendulum is affected by its mass, length, and the angle at which it is released. A longer pendulum will have a higher potential energy, while a heavier pendulum will have a higher kinetic energy. The angle at which the pendulum is released also affects the energy, with a larger angle resulting in a higher potential energy and a smaller angle resulting in a higher kinetic energy.

5. How is the mechanical energy of a physical pendulum conserved?

The mechanical energy of a physical pendulum is conserved as long as there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total energy remains constant throughout the pendulum's motion, with the potential energy and kinetic energy exchanging as the pendulum swings back and forth. However, in real-world situations, mechanical energy may be lost due to friction and air resistance.