Measuring wire tension with a galvanometer

In summary, people have been measuring the tension on very thin magnet wires using a galvanometer (voltmeter). A Wheatstone bridge setup can be used to generate a lot of current and exert a lot of force, but a regular analog meter cannot generate the necessary current. A strain gauge can be used to measure the start-friction of the tensioner.
EnhancedMonkey
Hello all. I would like to measure the tension on a very thin magnet wire and I have read about people making scales with a galvanometer (voltmeter). Basically, instead of using the meter to measure current, you send current thru the galvanometer and use the needle to exert force on an object. The current required to exert force and the force exerted are supposed to be linear. I was thinking a wheatstone bridge type setup. I am looking to measure in the neighborhood of 5-15 grams. I don't think I'd be able to generate this much force with a regular old analog meter, but I was curious if anyone knows what kind of actuator they use in seismic and polygraph plotters. This would probably be suitable.
I was also looking at strain gages to measure wire tension.
Does anyone have experience in this area? Which route should I go? Does anyone have a better idea?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!...D

Engineering news on Phys.org
I quite like the sound of the galvanometer technique to be honest, it seems a rather sweet way to do it, if it works! How much do you expect the middle of the wire to deflect by with a load of 5-15 grams?

For the boring solution, is there any reason you can't just strain gauge something between one of the wire ends and its anchor?

I like the galvanometer solution myself - the only reason I'm not using a strain gage is because I'd have to order it by mail and they're $50 for a minimum of five. Basically, I am a immediate satisfaction kind of guy and I'm cheap.:smile:
That's another thing I need help on...
How much will it deflect? What I'm really doing is using a tensioner on one end and pulling the other end until it starts to slip through the tensioner. I guess you would say that I'm measuring the start-friction of the tensioner. I don't know how to figure out how much the deflection is - I would imagine it would be some vector quantity.
...Maybe I should just give in and pay the fifty bucks.
...D

Related to Measuring wire tension with a galvanometer

1. How does a galvanometer measure wire tension?

A galvanometer is a device that measures electrical current. When a current passes through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. The tension in the wire affects the strength of this magnetic field, which in turn affects the movement of the galvanometer's needle. By measuring the deflection of the needle, the tension in the wire can be determined.

2. What are the benefits of using a galvanometer to measure wire tension?

Galvanometers are highly sensitive and accurate devices. They can measure small changes in current, making them ideal for measuring wire tension. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to use, making them a popular choice for scientific experiments and industrial applications.

3. Are there different types of galvanometers for measuring wire tension?

Yes, there are several types of galvanometers that can be used to measure wire tension. The most common types are moving coil galvanometers and moving iron galvanometers. Both work on the same principle of measuring the magnetic field created by the current in the wire, but they have different designs and are suited for different applications.

4. How is the tension in a wire calculated using a galvanometer?

The tension in a wire can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T = tension, F = force applied to the wire, and L = length of the wire. To use a galvanometer to measure tension, the force applied to the wire must be known. This can be done by attaching the wire to a weight and measuring the weight's force using a scale or by using a force sensor.

5. Can a galvanometer be used to measure tension in any type of wire?

A galvanometer can be used to measure tension in most types of wires, as long as the wire is able to conduct electricity. However, the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurement may vary depending on the properties of the wire. For example, wires made of different materials or with different thicknesses may require different calibration settings on the galvanometer.