Measuring unknown emf by potentiometer

In summary, in order to measure an unknown emf using a potentiometer, the stable current source (working battery) must have a voltage greater than the voltage being measured. This is because the potentiometer works by finding the point along a length of electrical resistance where the voltage is equal to the measured voltage. If the voltage across the entire length is not greater than the measured voltage, there will be no point where it is equal to the measured voltage. This is why a battery with a greater emf than 2V was used in the physics lab exercise.
tin llenaresas
in measuring unknown emf by potentiometer, why must the stable current source(working battery) have a voltage greater than any voltage to be measured?

i can't understand why..
in our exercise in physics, we used a slide-wire potentiometer with the assumption that 1 meter of the slide-wire gives a voltage drop of 1V. so, the battery we used has an emf slightly greater than 2 volts.

is there a connection between the length of the slide wire used and the use of a battery with an emf greater than 2V?

i am currently doing our physics lab report and honestly, its part of the discussion. I am asking for help for i can't understand.

tanx to anybody who dares to reply.. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
tin llenaresas said:
in measuring unknown emf by potentiometer, why must the stable current source(working battery) have a voltage greater than any voltage to be measured?

i can't understand why.
Because you are finding the point along a length of an electrical resistance where the voltage is equal (and opposite) to the voltage you are trying to measure. The potential difference goes from 0 to maximum along that resistance, maximum being the voltage across the entire length.

If the voltage across that entire length is not greater than the voltage you are trying to measure, there will be no point where it is equal to the measured voltage.

AM

tanx buddy.ü

Related to Measuring unknown emf by potentiometer

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it measure unknown emf?

A potentiometer is a type of electrical instrument used to measure unknown emf (electromotive force, or voltage) in a circuit. It works by comparing the unknown voltage with a known voltage and adjusting a sliding contact on a resistive wire until the two voltages are equal. The position of the sliding contact can then be used to determine the value of the unknown emf.

2. What are the advantages of using a potentiometer to measure unknown emf?

One advantage of using a potentiometer is that it is a precise and accurate method for measuring voltage. It also does not require any external power source, making it a convenient and portable instrument. Additionally, potentiometers can measure both DC and AC voltages, making them versatile for use in various circuits.

3. Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer for measuring unknown emf?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a potentiometer. One limitation is that it can only measure unknown emf values within a certain range, typically up to a few volts. It is also important to ensure that the potentiometer is properly calibrated and that the resistive wire is not damaged or worn, as this can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How can I use a potentiometer to measure unknown emf in a circuit?

To measure unknown emf using a potentiometer, you will need to connect the potentiometer in series with the circuit, with the sliding contact on the resistive wire in the middle. Adjust the sliding contact until the voltage across it is equal to the voltage in the circuit. The position of the sliding contact can then be used to determine the value of the unknown emf.

5. Can a potentiometer be used to measure the emf of a battery?

Yes, a potentiometer can be used to measure the emf of a battery. Simply connect the potentiometer in series with the battery, and adjust the sliding contact until the voltage across it is equal to the voltage of the battery. The position of the sliding contact can then be used to determine the emf of the battery.