Measuring Mass with a Triple Beam Balance

In summary: It's okay, I understand where you are coming from. I just think that if it is possible to have a beam balance like that, then it would be more accurate.
harimakenji

Homework Statement

what is the measurement
110.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there something wrong with the picture or is it possible to have beam balance with two same scales (the upper and middle ones). If possible then the reading = 90 + 30 + 8 = 128 g ??

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, why not? Okay, I'll admit that I don't know exactly how beam balances work, but if it works as different torques correlated to forces then all its doing is summing torques and then telling you how those torques would relate to mass.

I don't fully understand what you mean. The pointer just shows the mass of the object when the beam is balanced. If it is possible to have a beam balance like that, then I guess I got the correct answer?

Thank you very much

Sorry, but I don't fully understand what you mean. Why do you think it is not possible?

Mindscrape said:
Sorry, but I don't fully understand what you mean. Why do you think it is not possible?

because I think one of the scales (upper or lower one) should be in hundreds. I never encountered a problem which had the same scales and I also think that it is not very useful if the beam balance has two same scales because it can not be used to measure an object which mass is in several hundreds term (maybe around 300 gram above)

It all depends on the context. I think that the ones not being completely accounted for is the stranger part than having 30-50 and 50-100. It's a possible scale, and without context who knows why it is configured in this manner.

OK, I am just afraid that the scales have different meaning, such as the middle must be multiply by 10, so the reading should be 300 instead of 30. But maybe I am just overthinking about it.

Thank you very much

Related to Measuring Mass with a Triple Beam Balance

1. What is a triple beam balance?

A triple beam balance is a type of weighing scale commonly used in scientific experiments to measure the mass of an object. It consists of three beams, each with a different set of weights that can be moved along the beam to accurately measure the mass of an object.

2. How does a triple beam balance work?

The triple beam balance works by using a lever system to measure the mass of an object. The first beam, called the "front beam", has a rider that can be moved along the beam to measure the mass in units of 100 grams. The second beam, called the "middle beam", has a rider that can be moved to measure the mass in units of 10 grams. The third beam, called the "back beam", has a rider that can be moved to measure the mass in units of 1 gram. By adjusting the position of these riders, the total mass of the object can be measured.

3. How do I use a triple beam balance?

To use a triple beam balance, first make sure it is on a flat and stable surface. Then, adjust the riders on each beam to their starting positions (usually all the way to the left). Place the object you want to measure on the pan and adjust the riders until the pointer on the far right beam lines up with the zero mark. Add up the masses shown on each beam to determine the total mass of the object.

4. What units are used to measure mass on a triple beam balance?

A triple beam balance typically measures mass in units of grams (g). However, some models may also have a rider that measures mass in units of kilograms (kg).

5. What are the limitations of using a triple beam balance?

While a triple beam balance is a very accurate tool for measuring mass, it does have some limitations. The object being measured must be placed directly on the pan and not suspended in the air, as this can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, the scale may need to be calibrated regularly to ensure accurate readings.