Measuring Mass Flow Rate of AlO2 Particles in Real-Time

In summary, the goal is to measure the mass flow rate of small AlO2 particles through a tube/nozzle. The current option being looked into is Cavity Ringdown Spectroscopy (CRDS), but it doesn't seem suitable because the method employed is tracking particles in the air, which are very small and very low speed. Another option being looked into is a multi-pass optical cell, but that's more tailored towards analysis of exhaust gases and the like.
NSX
Hi all,

I've been asked to search for a way, cost isn't that big of an issue, to measure flow rate in real-time of small, fast, abrasive particles (AlO2). These particles are, on average, 50 microns in diameter, and are shot out of a nozzle, itself just a bit bigger than 50 microns.

Another requirement is that this detection system be non-invasive, i.e. it does not obstruct the flow itself.

So far, I've looked into using Cavity Ringdown Spectroscopy (CRDS), but it doesn't seem suitable because the method employed is tracking particles in the air, which are very small and very low speed.

I've also looked at a multi-pass optical cell, but that's more tailored towards analysis of exhaust gases and the like.

I'm currently looking at http://ej.iop.org/links/q08/Y7FohcpzMevEzI6PX7LwzQ/mst5_10_021.pdf [pdf], where they shoot light across the direction of the flow, and based on the attenuation, certain characteristics can be shown.

Any ideas on how to measure the mass flow rate of small AlO2 through a tube/nozzle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Laser doppler anemometry?

brewnog said:
Laser doppler anemometry?

I'm currently reading about it, and so far it looks good!

My concern atm is that it says its been used for http://www.dantecdynamics.com/LDA/Princip/Index.html ...

I'll read into whether it can be used for small, particle flow.

Thanks!

[edit]

Actually, the ppt presentation they have on that site also says "Velocity of particles
", and it looks like tracer particles are needed to measure the velocity.

How nice: AlO2 are the size of their tracer particles! :D

I'll update you once I show my supervisor this.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Yeah, it's for fluid flow, but I was assuming that your particles would be suspended in air anyway. As far as I know, the seeding particles just need to be reflective, I don't think it matters too much what they actually are.

Let me know how it goes anyway!

How important is it to measure in real-time? High-speed video might be an easier option if it's viable.

brewnog said:
Let me know how it goes anyway!

How important is it to measure in real-time? High-speed video might be an easier option if it's viable.

Seems that they've tried LDA in the past, and there were issues in calibrating it and such.

In addition, my supervisor said that he's more interested in how concentrated the flow is, i.e. amount of particles flowing through a volume in the tube at anyone single time.

He wants this because it seems that the AlO2 comes out in clumps, i.e. many particles come out, then very little, then many, etc.
However, we want to have a way of quantifying this amount of flow at anyone time, hence, the opacimeter since the extinction coefficient is a measure of how much light is extinct => how many particles flow through.

Here's a picture of the setup:
https://my.ryerson.ca/bbcswebdav/users/m4yip/gt4/DSC07600.JPG

Is there any other device, preferably very easy to install and setup, that gives an instantaneous indication of how many particles are going through the tube?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Measuring Mass Flow Rate of AlO2 Particles in Real-Time

1. How is mass flow rate of AlO2 particles measured in real-time?

The mass flow rate of AlO2 particles is measured using a specialized instrument called a mass flow meter. This instrument utilizes principles of fluid dynamics and measures the mass of particles passing through a specific point in a given amount of time.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring mass flow rate of AlO2 particles in real-time?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring mass flow rate of AlO2 particles include changes in temperature, pressure, and composition of the particles. The type and calibration of the mass flow meter used can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

3. How is real-time data collected and analyzed during the measurement of mass flow rate of AlO2 particles?

The data is collected using the mass flow meter and then analyzed using specialized software. The software calculates the mass flow rate by continuously monitoring the rate of particles passing through the meter and adjusting for any changes in the factors that can affect accuracy.

4. What are the potential applications of measuring mass flow rate of AlO2 particles in real-time?

The measurement of mass flow rate of AlO2 particles in real-time has various potential applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and chemical manufacturing. It can also be used in research and development of new materials and processes.

5. Can the mass flow rate of AlO2 particles be measured in real-time in large-scale industrial processes?

Yes, the mass flow rate of AlO2 particles can be measured in real-time in large-scale industrial processes. However, it may require multiple mass flow meters and specialized software to accurately measure and analyze the data. Additionally, the measurement may need to be calibrated and validated periodically to maintain accuracy.