Measurement and Stern Gerlach Experiments review articles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to understand the details of Stern Gerlach experiments and measurement issues in quantum mechanics. The speaker is looking for review articles on the topic, but has only found specific articles on related topics. Another participant mentions Julian Schwinger's "Measurement Algebra" and provides a website with links to original papers on the subject. The conversation ends with a thank you and a promise to look into the suggested resources.
maverick280857
Hi everyone

In my attempt to understand the details of Stern Gerlach experiments and measurment issues in quantum mechanics, I have come to believe that there is a lot to be learned from some of the basic thought experiments like interference and Stern Gerlach described in books. Unfortunately, I have not found books that deal with these issues in considerable rigour, as these topics are usually preludes to formalism and abstraction.

I was hoping someone could point me to review articles on the Stern Gerlach Experiment where some of these things have been discussed in more detail both physically and mathematically. I am looking for them on google and arxiv, but I find very specific articles about entanglement, coherence, spin, etc. which of course I want to read too, but a more evolutionary approach would be desirable.

If you have any specific suggestions about books or papers, please do reply to this thread.

Thanks and cheers,
maverick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

maverick280857 said:
Anyone?

Sorry for not paying attention to PF, I've been so busy lately.

Julian Schwinger defined a version of QM now called "Schwinger's Measurement Algebra". It's based on the algebra of Stern-Gerlach experiments. Here, "algebra" means what happens when you hook up the output streams of Stern-Gerlach experiments to the inputs of other Stern-Gerlach experiments (multiplication), or when you take the outputs of two S-G experiments and combine them (addition).

This is a favorite subject of mine so I started a website with links to the original papers (which are quite readable):
http://www.measurementalgebra.com/

Schwinger's measurement algebra is said to be quite elegant.

Carl

Hi, thanks for your reply, both to this thread and the other one. I am sorry for the late acknowledgment, I'll take a good look at your website and the thread. Thanks again.

Related to Measurement and Stern Gerlach Experiments review articles?

What is the Stern Gerlach Experiment and how does it relate to measurement?

The Stern Gerlach Experiment is a classical physics experiment that demonstrated the quantization of angular momentum in atoms. It consists of passing a beam of silver atoms through a strong magnetic field, which causes the atoms to split into two distinct beams, each with a different spin orientation. This experiment showed that certain physical properties, such as angular momentum, are quantized and can only take on certain discrete values. This relates to measurement because it demonstrates the limitations of classical physics in accurately describing the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

What is the significance of the Stern Gerlach Experiment in quantum mechanics?

The Stern Gerlach Experiment is significant in quantum mechanics because it provided evidence for the quantization of angular momentum, which is a fundamental concept in quantum theory. It also demonstrated that particles can have intrinsic spin, which is not accounted for in classical physics. This experiment played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and helped to shape our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

What have been some recent advancements in Stern Gerlach Experiments?

Recent advancements in Stern Gerlach Experiments have focused on using more precise and controlled magnetic fields to manipulate the spin states of particles. This has allowed for a better understanding of the mechanics behind the original experiment and has also led to new applications, such as using the Stern Gerlach setup to create quantum information processors.

How do measurement techniques in Stern Gerlach Experiments differ from other quantum measurement techniques?

Measurement techniques in Stern Gerlach Experiments differ from other quantum measurement techniques in that they are based on a macroscopic measurement of a microscopic property, such as spin. This differs from other techniques, such as the double-slit experiment, which measure the wave-like behavior of particles. Additionally, Stern Gerlach measurements are non-destructive, meaning the particles can be measured multiple times without collapsing their wavefunction.

What are some potential applications of the Stern Gerlach Experiment in the future?

Some potential applications of the Stern Gerlach Experiment in the future include using it as a tool for quantum information processing, as well as for precision measurements in physics research. It may also have applications in developing new technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors, that rely on the quantization of physical properties. Additionally, further advancements in Stern Gerlach Experiments could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and potentially lead to new discoveries in the field.