Meaning of Lorentz Transformations purely mathematically ?

In summary: LT! we're not talking about time at all!In summary, the professor first assumed gamma*(x-v*t) to be a constant, and then proved that this constant is actually 1/c^2. This conclusion stopped the student a lot, and they searched the Internet for an answer. They found that cosines and sines don't work in 2D spacetime rotations, and that they need hyperbolic functions.
TMSxPhyFor
Couple days ago, we get a lecture in relativity, I read quite a lot about it before so there was nothing new except one thing : our professor first started to conclude Lorentz transformation totally in a mathematical way by assuming gamma*(x-v*t) … (what I discovered that it is a known method but somehow I didn't read about before)

Anyway during the formulation of Lorentz transformations, we proving that (1-gamma^2)/v^2=constant (which is actually 1/c^2) , this conclusion stopped me a lot, and I searched Internet for couple days to get an answer to may question in vain: from purely mathematical point of view , not speaking about Einstein relativity nor speed of light, what that means!? If I will have a question of calculating when some even accrue in another reference frame in some totally abstract space-time like Euclidean space, what this constant will mean? We can't say it is max allowed speed in this abstract 2D plane! Because there is not any, and saying put it simply to zero also not quite acceptable from pure math point of view, because we have to prove it! Actually it's very important question to me, and I can't accept mathematically just to put it zero to get Galilean transformation, hope that somebody has a clue how to understand this!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I must say I can't really follow your description of your question. But maybe it's a good idea to look at an analog which you do know: rotations in the plane.

A rotation in the 2D plane {x,y} is described by a 2x2 matrix R which (and this is important!) leaves the Euclidean interval [itex]l^2 = x^2 + y^2[/itex] invariant. This puts a restriction on R; it has to be orthogonal, which you can immediately check.

Now, look at 2D spacetime {t,x}. One axiom of SR is that the speed of light is constant for every inertial observer. This leads you to say that we have an invariant interval

[tex]
s^2 = c^2 t^2 -x^2
[/tex]

or infinitesimally

[tex]
ds^2= c^2dt^2 - dx^2
[/tex]

This describes "rotations between the t and x-axis" in the same way as the two dimensional spatial rotations are rotations between x and y. However, we can't describe these spacetime rotations with cosines and sines and angles which are between 0 and 2pi.

You can check for yourself that we need hyperbolic functions with arguments which are in the real line, not just between 0 and 2pi. This is due to the minus sign. I think this is what it means to put c as a constant mathematically: you define an invariant line element which is preserved by transformations which are called "Lorentz transformations".

Is this what you're looking for?

Now these Lorentz transformations can be looked upon in two different ways:

*Passive: The event isn't changed, but a Lorentz transformation connects two different coordinate systems (observers) which look at the same event P in spacetime
*Active: The event IS changed, but the coordinate system doesn't change

The reason why this distinction is there, is because (from my understanding of it!) mathematically you're talking about diffeomorphisms on the spacetime manifold which connects different events (points) on the spacetime manifold. This formulation can be done coordinate-free. This is called "the active point of view". However, these "active transformations" can be used to induce the passive point of view. They seem to be interchangable, but I must confess this whole business is still not very clear to me in the general case.

Dear haushofer

I must also confess that i thought that I understand SR very good, but this new way of obtaining LT blow my mind!

Regrading your first post, as i said i want to speak about that purely mathematically! that means no speed of light! and this exactly what raising the question:

if [tex]\grave{x}=\gamma (x-vt) [/tex]
we can rpove mathematicly that
[tex]\frac{v^{2}}{1-(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}}=\frac{\grave{v}^{2}}{1-(\frac{\grave{dx}}{dt})^{2}}}=constant=c^{2}[/tex]

(where c2 is written just to show it relation to speed of light in reality)
so my question was what this mathematically means? what this constant means in a euclidean space? not in real space! how we can understand this constant mathematically! what it will be in simple 2D euclidean space? I can't see any sense of it because there can't be a limit for a speed in it , but although the problem is how to prove that there is really no limit mathematically! and more, how we even conclude that there is a limit for a speed when we didn't put such assumption when we started deriving LT, there is just something I can't get it!

you're talking about diffeomorphisms on the spacetime manifold which connects different events (points)
This exactly what i speaking about! when we derived LT, "t" doesn't mean time ! it can be abstractly any variable that some other variable depends on (for example we can define speed of f(x,y,z) relative to z by taking differential so there will be no time!), time in the basically has no meaning for math! so purely mathematically saying that LT is morphisms of space-time has no sense for me if i will think about it purely mathematically!

Related to Meaning of Lorentz Transformations purely mathematically ?

1. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations used in special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time for observers in different inertial frames of reference. They were first introduced by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1904.

2. How are Lorentz Transformations derived mathematically?

Lorentz transformations can be derived using the principles of special relativity and the Galilean transformations, which describe the relationship between space and time for observers in the same inertial frame of reference. The derivation involves the use of the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in Lorentz Transformations?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by the symbol γ (gamma), is a key component in the Lorentz transformations. It represents the ratio of time and space measurements between two inertial frames of reference. This factor is crucial in understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are fundamental concepts in special relativity.

4. Are Lorentz Transformations reversible?

Yes, Lorentz transformations are reversible. This means that if we apply a Lorentz transformation to switch from one inertial frame of reference to another, we can also apply the inverse Lorentz transformation to switch back to the original frame of reference. This is a fundamental property of Lorentz transformations and is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. Can Lorentz Transformations be used to describe the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be used to describe the behavior of objects moving at any speed, including speeds close to the speed of light. In fact, the equations of special relativity, including the Lorentz transformations, were developed specifically to explain the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. Without the use of Lorentz transformations, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete.