Meaning of line element vector on work formula

In summary, the conversation discusses using the integral for work, W = \int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}, and the struggle to find a good answer when the force is directed from a to b and a > b. The speaker is considering d\vec{s} as the infinitesimal difference of the position vector along the integral route, but this is incorrect. It is clarified that d\vec{s} is shorthand for \dfrac{d \vec s}{dt}\,dt, where t parametrizes the path. The conversation then goes on to discuss a specific example involving work performed by a gravitational field, where a sign error is made. The correct solution is provided, emphasizing the importance of
pfr
I've been struggling with this for the past hours and I can't find a good answer.
Using the integral for work [itex] W = \int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} [/itex], when [itex] a > b [/itex], and the force is directed from a to b, i keep getting a negative result. I am considering [itex] d\vec{s} [/itex] as the infinitesimal difference of the position vector along the integral route, so it has the same direction of the force. Is this wrong? Where am I messing up, and what [itex] d\vec{s} [/itex] should truly mean here?

E.g The work performed by a gravitational field upon a particle while bringing it from infinity

[tex] W = \int_\infty^R \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} = \int_\infty^R (\frac{-GMm}{r^2})\hat{r}\cdot (-dr)\hat{r} = \int_\infty^R \frac{GMm}{r^2}dr = \left.\frac{-GMm}{r}\right|_\infty^R = \frac{-GMm}{R} [/tex]
Which is false, since the work is obviously positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
pfr said:
I've been struggling with this for the past hours and I can't find a good answer.
Using the integral for work [itex] W = \int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} [/itex], when [itex] a > b [/itex], and the force is directed from a to b, i keep getting a negative result. I am considering [itex] d\vec{s} [/itex] as the infinitesimal difference of the position vector along the integral route, so it has the same direction of the force. Is this wrong?

Yes. [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] is shorthand for [itex]\dfrac{d \vec s}{dt}\,dt[/itex] where [itex]t[/itex] parametrizes the path. It can be time, but need not be. Arclength is another possible choice. Expanding the definition of the line integral, one has
[tex]
W = \int_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{s} =
\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \vec{F}(\vec{s}(t)) \cdot \frac{d\vec{s}(t)}{dt}\,dt
[/tex]

E.g The work performed by a gravitational field upon a particle while bringing it from infinity

[tex] W = \int_\infty^R \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} = \int_\infty^R (\frac{-GMm}{r^2})\hat{r}\cdot (-dr)\hat{r} = \int_\infty^R \frac{GMm}{r^2}dr = \left.\frac{-GMm}{r}\right|_\infty^R = \frac{-GMm}{R} [/tex]
Which is false, since the work is obviously positive.

You have made a sign error. Here we have purely radial displacement, so [itex]d\vec{s} = r'(t) \hat r\,dt = \hat r \,dr[/itex] (because by definition [itex]r'(t)\,dt = dr[/itex]), not [itex]-\hat r\,dr[/itex] as you have. You will then find that
[tex]
\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{s} = \int_{\infty}^{R} \frac{-GMm}{r^2}\,dr = \frac{GMm}{R} > 0[/tex]
as required.

EDIT: Try to avoid using coordinates as parameters for curves. It leads to exactly this sort of confusion.

Related to Meaning of line element vector on work formula

1. What is the meaning of the line element vector in the work formula?

The line element vector in the work formula represents the direction and magnitude of the displacement of an object. It is a vector quantity that describes the change in position of an object along a specific path or line.

2. How is the line element vector related to the concept of work?

The line element vector is an essential component of the work formula, which is defined as the product of the force applied on an object and the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The line element vector determines the direction of the displacement, and without it, the work formula would not accurately represent the work done on an object.

3. Can the line element vector ever be negative in the work formula?

Yes, the line element vector can be negative in the work formula if the displacement and the applied force are in opposite directions. In this case, the work done on the object would be negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object instead of being added to it.

4. How does the line element vector affect the calculation of work?

The line element vector affects the calculation of work by determining the direction of the displacement. If the line element vector is perpendicular to the applied force, the work done would be zero, even if the object moves a significant distance. On the other hand, if the line element vector is in the same direction as the force, the work done would be the highest.

5. How is the line element vector used in real-life applications?

The line element vector is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by machines, determining the energy expenditure of athletes during physical activities, and analyzing the forces acting on structures and bridges. It is also essential in understanding the concepts of power and torque in physics and engineering.