Meaning of "A Good Analogy is like a Diagonal Frog"

• Thread starter fomenkoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analogy
In summary, the quote "A good analogy is like a diagonal frog" by Kai Krause is a clever oxymoron meant to be humorous and ironic. It is not meant to be a statement about actual analogies, but rather a flippant joke. The origin and original context of the quote is unknown, but it is popular for its wit and cleverness. Some have interpreted it as an argument against the effectiveness of analogies, but it is more likely just a humorous comparison.
fomenkoa
I love Kai Krause's quote "A good analogy is like a diagonal frog"...to me it's one of those oxymorons...like "astronomically small" or "authentic replica"

Is that why it's so popular...because it's a clever oxymoron...or did this guy Kai Krause have another intent for the quote that I haven't come up with yet?

I tried searching the net for the meaning of the quote, but all it ever says online is that Kai Krause made it up...and that it has something to do with Philosophy which is why I put it in this section

I also noticed someone had a PhysicsForums "post signature" that was this quote..perhaps that person or somebody else knows?

Anton

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not an oxymoron. "Diagonal frog" just has several possible interpretations and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Kai Krause is drawing a humorously bad analogy to describe a good analogy, for the purpose of irony. It could be interpreted as an argument against the effectiveness of analogies in general, but I think it's just a flippant joke.

Don't know anything about the origin or original context of the quote, I just happened to stumble upon it on the web one day. I agree, it's pretty witty.

I suppose it must mean that since diagonal frogs don't exist (or the idea is nonsense, or something like that), good analogies don't exist either.

I don't think it's meant to be a statement about actual analogies. My interpretation has always been that it's just meant to be humorous-- the author tries to give us an idea of what a good analogy is by using an analogy himself, but winds up writing an exceptionally bad/nonsensical one rather than a good one.

Related to Meaning of "A Good Analogy is like a Diagonal Frog"

1. What is an analogy?

An analogy is a comparison between two things that are usually different, but have some similarities. It is used to explain or clarify a complex idea or concept by comparing it to something more familiar.

2. How is a good analogy like a diagonal frog?

A good analogy, like a diagonal frog, is something unexpected and creative. Just as a diagonal frog is not a common sight, a good analogy should not be a cliché or overused comparison. It should surprise and engage the audience.

3. What makes an analogy "good"?

A good analogy is one that effectively helps the audience understand a complex idea or concept. It should be easy to understand, relevant, and memorable. A good analogy also provides a new perspective or insight on the subject.

4. Can analogies be used in scientific research?

Yes, analogies can be used in scientific research to help explain complex theories or phenomena. They can also be used to make scientific information more accessible to a non-scientific audience. However, it is important to use analogies carefully and accurately to avoid misinterpretation.

5. How can I come up with a good analogy?

Coming up with a good analogy can be a creative process. One way to do it is to start by identifying the main concept or idea you want to explain. Then, think of different objects, situations, or experiences that share some similarities with that concept. Experiment with different comparisons and choose the one that best conveys your message in a unique and memorable way.