MCNP-An equivalent way to describe a particular gama source

In summary, the original describing way of the gama source took too much time to generate the gama flux distribution, while the simplified point gama source produced the same distribution.
dave813
I had some problems finding out an equivalent way to describe a particular gama source.We can get the original way describing the particular gama source in this file: "1.txt", as well as its model in this file:"model.jpg",with this describing way,we can get the distribution of gama flux like file "distribution.xlsx" presented.

The disadvantage of the original describing way is taking too much time running the "1.txt" file. So I am trying to simplify the original gama source as a point gama sourece which has the same gama flux distribution as the former.My simplified description of the gama source can be found in this file:"2.txt", but I failed to get the same gama flux distribution as the former.

I am hoping for your advice with my deeply appreciation.

Attachments

• 1.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 450
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 418
  • distribution.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 239
  • 2.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thanks for your reply!
I need a special kind of source, whose gama flux distribution around the original point could be generated by a cylinder(consist of molybdenum) exposed to a plane surface electron source which is in a vacuo tube, the gama flux distribution of this source has been presented in my attached file "distribution.xlsx", and then, I am trying to simplified the gama source ( produced by a plane surface electron source exposed at the molybdenum cylinder) as a point gama source with the "SDEF" card, hoping it could cut down the running time of my input file. Making sure the simplified point gama source has the same geometric distribution as the original source.

Thank you advance!

Related to MCNP-An equivalent way to describe a particular gama source

1. What is MCNP and how does it describe a gamma source?

MCNP is a Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code used for simulating the behavior of particles in a system. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering to model radiation sources and their interactions with materials. MCNP provides an equivalent way to describe a particular gamma source by simulating the trajectories of individual gamma particles as they interact with the surrounding materials.

2. How accurate is MCNP in describing gamma sources?

MCNP is known for its high accuracy in predicting the behavior of gamma sources. It takes into account various factors such as particle energy, material properties, and geometry to provide a realistic simulation of the source. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the assumptions made during the simulation.

3. What types of gamma sources can be described using MCNP?

MCNP can be used to describe a wide range of gamma sources, including point sources, distributed sources, and extended sources. It can also simulate sources with different energy spectra and angular distributions. However, the accuracy of the simulation may vary depending on the complexity of the source.

4. Can MCNP be used to calculate the dose from a gamma source?

Yes, MCNP can be used to calculate the dose from a gamma source. By simulating the trajectories of individual gamma particles and their interactions with materials, MCNP can provide information on the dose distribution in the system. However, it is important to note that the calculated dose may not be an exact representation of the actual dose received by a person due to variations in individual sensitivity and other factors.

5. Is MCNP user-friendly for scientists without prior experience?

MCNP can be a complex code to use, especially for scientists without prior experience in Monte Carlo simulations. It requires a good understanding of physics principles and coding skills to properly set up and interpret the simulations. However, there are resources available to help beginners learn and use MCNP effectively for describing gamma sources.