May i know (cos n pi ) with n to infinity is converges or diverges?

In summary, we discussed the convergence or divergence of the sequence {cos npi} with n to infinity. Using the fact that if a sequence converges, the limit is unique, and that all subsequences converge towards the same limit, we can see that this sequence converges towards two different numbers, -1 and +1. We also briefly touched on the concept of a subsequence and the importance of understanding limits in analysis.
teng125
may i know (cos n pi ) with n to infinity is converges or diverges??

may i know (cos n pi ) with n to infinity is converges or diverges??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that if a sequence converges, the limit is unique, and the fact that if a sequence converges towards x, all subsequences converge towards x also.

Can you find 2 subsequences of {cos npi} that converges towards different numbers?

is it -1 and +1 ??

Is there a doubt in your mind?

yaya.pls explain to me

Is this in the context of an analysis class?

Are you familiar with the two theorems I quoted in my first post?

no,what is subsequence??

First answer my question, teng:
What is meant by a "limit"?

I put this conversation in your hands arildno, I have to leave. :smile:

Related to May i know (cos n pi ) with n to infinity is converges or diverges?

1. What does "cos n pi" represent in this question?

In this question, "cos n pi" represents the cosine function with an input of n multiplied by pi. This means that the angle being evaluated is changing as n increases.

2. How does n to infinity affect the convergence or divergence of this expression?

As n approaches infinity, the angle being evaluated in the cosine function also increases. This means that the output of the function will oscillate between -1 and 1, leading to divergence.

3. What is the difference between convergence and divergence in this context?

In this context, convergence refers to the output of the expression approaching a specific value as n increases. Divergence, on the other hand, refers to the output oscillating or approaching infinity as n increases.

4. Can you provide an example of a similar expression that converges?

An example of a similar expression that converges would be "cos n", where n represents any real number. In this case, the angle being evaluated remains constant, leading to a constant output of the cosine function.

5. How does the value of n affect the convergence or divergence of this expression?

The value of n plays a crucial role in determining the convergence or divergence of this expression. As n increases, the angle being evaluated in the cosine function also increases, leading to divergence. However, for smaller values of n, the expression may converge to a specific value.