Maxmimum\Minimum modulus principle

The counterexample I provided earlier still works. In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the maximum and minimum modulus principles for an analytical function in a ring. The original statement is false and the conversation provides a counterexample to prove this. The conversation also mentions that the assumption of f(z) never being zero does not change the validity of the statement.
MMS
Hey guys,

I'm studying for an exam that I have in Complex Analysis and I got stuck at the following question.

Question: True/False
f(z) is an analytical function in the ring 1 =< z =< 3. Also, the minimum of |f(z)| on |z|=1 equals to 1 and the maximum of |f(z)| on |z|=3 equals to 2.
Therefore, 1 =< |f(z)| =< 2 for every z in the ring 1 =< z =< 3.

the actual answer is false even though I don't get why I can't apply the maximum\minimum principle.

Here's my argument:

f is analytic in the ring and on its boundary (hence, bounded domain). Therefore, it is also continuous in the ring and up to its boundary. Then by the maximum modulus principle, it attains its maximum modulus on the boundary.
In other wording, |f(z)| on the boundary >= |f(z)| in the domain.
Same thing goes for the minimum modulus ---> |f(z)| on the boundary <= |f(z)| in the domain.
We're given that the maximum of the modulus is at |z|=3 and the minimum is at |z|=1. Hence, since those are the maximum and minimum of the modulus and it satisfies the principle,
1 =< |f(z)| =< 2 for every z in the ring 1 =< z =< 3.What am I missing out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you are not given maximum and minims on the boundary, you are given max on one part of the boundary and min on another part. So, maximum modulus principle does not apply.

Second, there is no "minimum modulus principle": consider function ##f(z)=z## on the unit disc ##|z|<1##. Minimum of ##|f(z)|## of the circle ##|z|=1## is ##1##, but ##f(0)=0##.

Of course, to show that the statement is false, you need to construct a counterexample.

Likes MMS
just to get an idea, notice that for the function f(z) = z-2, |f(z)| has minimum equal to 1 on |z| = 1, and maximum equal to 5 on |z| = 3. but f(2) =0.

by the way do you suppose it changes anything if we assume also that f(z) is never zero?

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
by the way do you suppose it changes anything if we assume also that f(z) is never zero?
Do you mean the original question? For the original question, even if we require that ##f(z)## is never zero, the statement is still false, so nothing changes.

Related to Maxmimum\Minimum modulus principle

1. What is the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle?

The Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle is a theorem in complex analysis that states that the maximum or minimum value of a holomorphic function on a closed and bounded region in the complex plane must occur at the boundary or at a singularity inside the region.

2. How is the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle used in mathematics?

The Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle is used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a holomorphic function on a given region in the complex plane. It is also used to prove other theorems in complex analysis, such as the Open Mapping Theorem and the Cauchy Integral Formula.

3. Can the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle be applied to non-holomorphic functions?

No, the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle only applies to holomorphic functions. This is because holomorphic functions have the special property of being differentiable at every point in their domain, which is a necessary condition for the theorem to hold.

4. What is the relationship between the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle and the Mean Value Theorem?

The Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle is a generalization of the Mean Value Theorem. The Mean Value Theorem states that the average value of a function on a closed interval is equal to the value of the function at some point within that interval. The Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle extends this concept to holomorphic functions in the complex plane.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle?

The Maximum/Minimum Modulus Principle has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in the design of electronic circuits, in the study of fluid dynamics, and in the analysis of harmonic functions. It is also used in the study of conformal mapping, which has applications in cartography and image processing.