Maximum principle for subharmonic functions

In summary, the maximum principle states that the subharmonic in a function $v$ does not achieve its maximum at the inner points of $\Omega$ if it is not constant. The proof is based on the harmonic function and the fact that v is constant everywhere in $\Omega$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I have a question about the proof of the maximum principle for subharmonic functions.

The maximum principle is the following: The subharmonic in $\Omega$ function $v$ does not achieve its maximum at the inner points of $\Omega$ if it is not constant.

Proof: We suppose that at the point $x_0 \in \overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}}$ the subharmonic function $v$ achieves its maximum. We consider the ball $B_{x_0}(\rho) \subset \Omega$ ($\rho< \delta=dist(x_0, \partial{\Omega})$) and the function $w=H_{B_{x_0}(\rho)}[v]$.

We have $\max w|_{\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}}=\max v|_{\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}} \leq v(x_0)$

($w$ and $v$ coincide in $\Omega \setminus{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$, in $x_0$ $v$ has its maximum ).

Taking into consideration that $v(x_0) \leq H_{B_{x_0}(\rho)}[v](x_0)=w(x_0)$, we have for harmonic $w(x)$

$$\max w|_{\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}} \leq w(x_0)$$

so (from the maximum principle for harmonic functions) $w(x)$ is constant in $B_{x_0}(\rho)$ and consequently $v$ is constant at its boundary $\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$.

We notice that $\rho$ is arbitrary between $0$ and $dist(x_0, \partial{\Omega})$, by changing $\rho$ at the interval $(0,\delta)$ we deduce that $v$ is constant at the ball $B_{x_0}(\delta)$.

The fact that $v$ is constant everywhere in $\Omega$ can be proven as in the case of harmonic functions.

First of all, $w$ is not harmonic in $\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$. Why can we say the following?

we have for harmonic $w(x)$

$$\max w|_{\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}} \leq w(x_0)$$Secondly, how do we deduce that $v$ is constant at the ball $B_{x_0}(\delta)$ ?

Also how can we show that $v$ is constant everywhere in $\Omega$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

evinda said:
and the function $w=H_{B_{x_0}(\rho)}[v]$.

What is $H$? (Wondering)

First of all, $w$ is not harmonic in $\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$.

How so?
Since $w$ coincides with $v$ in the mini ball, and since $v$ is harmonic (domain is an open set and $\Delta v=0$), doesn't that imply that $w$ is harmonic as well?

Why can we say the following?

we have for harmonic $w(x)$

$$\max w|_{\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}} \leq w(x_0)$$

Since $w$ coincides with $v$ in the ball, and since $v(x_0)$ is a global maximum, doesn't it follow that it holds true for $w$ as well on a subset of the domain? (Wondering)
Secondly, how do we deduce that $v$ is constant at the ball $B_{x_0}(\delta)$ ?

Also how can we show that $v$ is constant everywhere in $\Omega$ ?

If we pick some other point that we can connect with a curve to $x_0$, we can create a string of mini balls, and repeat the same argument for every mini ball.
If there's a point $y \in \Omega$ that we can't connect to $x_0$, that means that $\Omega$ is not connected.
Still, we can repeat the argument with a new maximum $y_0$ within the subset of $\Omega$ that is connected to $y$, so in that open subset we'll have a constant function as well. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
What is $H$? (Wondering)

In general, we have the following:

$$\\v(x) \in C^0(\Omega), B \subset \Omega \text{ arbitrary ball} \\ \\
H_B[v]=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\text{harmonic for } & x \in B\\
v \text{ for } & x \in \Omega \setminus{B}
\end{matrix}\right.$$
I like Serena said:
How so?
Since $w$ coincides with $v$ in the mini ball, and since $v$ is harmonic (domain is an open set and $\Delta v=0$), doesn't that imply that $w$ is harmonic as well?

We have that $w$ coincides with $v$ in $\Omega \setminus{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$.
How do we know that $v$ is harmonic?

We have that a function $v(x)$ is subharmonic in $\Omega$ if $v \leq H_B[v], \forall B \subset \Omega$.
I like Serena said:
Since $w$ coincides with $v$ in the ball, and since $v(x_0)$ is a global maximum, doesn't it follow that it holds true for $w$ as well on a subset of the domain? (Wondering)

I understood how we got the inequality, I just didn't understand why we can say for harmonic w...
I like Serena said:
If we pick some other point that we can connect with a curve to $x_0$, we can create a string of mini balls, and repeat the same argument for every mini ball.

And we use the fact that $v$ is constant in $\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$ ?

I like Serena said:
If there's a point $y \in \Omega$ that we can't connect to $x_0$, that means that $\Omega$ is not connected.
Still, we can repeat the argument with a new maximum $y_0$ within the subset of $\Omega$ that is connected to $y$, so in that open subset we'll have a constant function as well. (Nerd)

So you mean that if $\Omega$ is not connected, then we will have local maxima?
If so, would it hold that $x_0>y_0$ ?
Why will we have a constant function as well?

evinda said:
In general, we have the following:

$$\\v(x) \in C^0(\Omega), B \subset \Omega \text{ arbitrary ball} \\ \\
H_B[v]=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\text{harmonic for } & x \in B\\
v \text{ for } & x \in \Omega \setminus{B}
\end{matrix}\right.$$

We have that $w$ coincides with $v$ in $\Omega \setminus{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$.
How do we know that $v$ is harmonic?

We have that a function $v(x)$ is subharmonic in $\Omega$ if $v \leq H_B[v], \forall B \subset \Omega$.

Ah... ok. (Thinking)

I understood how we got the inequality, I just didn't understand why we can say for harmonic w...

I think we can leave out the word harmonic of that sentence.
It seems to me it only means that $w$ is harmonic in the mini ball, which is implicit from $w=H_{B_{x_0}(\rho)}[v]$.

And we use the fact that $v$ is constant in $\partial{B_{x_0}(\rho)}$ ?

Well... we use that we found that $v$ is constant in ${B_{x_0}(\rho)}$... (Thinking)

So you mean that if $\Omega$ is not connected, then we will have local maxima?
If so, would it hold that $x_0>y_0$ ?
Why will we have a constant function as well?

Indeed, we will have a local maximum.
We would have $x_0 \ge y_0$.
If we only look at the connected subset of $\Omega$ that contains $x_0$, and if we can prove that $v$ has to be constant, the same reasoning applies to this other subset with local maximum $y_0$, meaning $v$ has to be constant there as well, although possibly at a different constant value. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Ah... ok. (Thinking)
I think we can leave out the word harmonic of that sentence.
It seems to me it only means that $w$ is harmonic in the mini ball, which is implicit from $w=H_{B_{x_0}(\rho)}[v]$.
Well... we use that we found that $v$ is constant in ${B_{x_0}(\rho)}$... (Thinking)

Ok... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Indeed, we will have a local maximum.
We would have $x_0 \ge y_0$.
If we only look at the connected subset of $\Omega$ that contains $x_0$, and if we can prove that $v$ has to be constant, the same reasoning applies to this other subset with local maximum $y_0$, meaning $v$ has to be constant there as well, although possibly at a different constant value. (Thinking)
I like Serena said:

But how do we show that at the other mini balls $v$ is also constant? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ok... (Nod)

But how do we show that at the other mini balls $v$ is also constant? (Thinking)

We have proven that $v$ is constant at $x_0$ in the first mini ball and on its edge.
We pick the second mini ball such that it overlaps with the first mini ball.
So we have a point at $x_0$ in the second mini ball, which will again be the maximum of $v$.
According to the same argument, $v$ must be constant in all of the second mini ball.
And so on... (Thinking)
evinda said:
The fact that $v$ is constant everywhere in $\Omega$ can be proven as in the case of harmonic functions.

Alternatively, it appears you already have a similar proof elsewhere (in the case of harmonic functions).
What is it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
We have proven that $v$ is constant at $x_0$ in the first mini ball and on its edge.
We pick the second mini ball such that it overlaps with the first mini ball.
So we have a point at $x_0$ in the second mini ball, which will again be the maximum of $v$.
According to the same argument, $v$ must be constant in all of the second mini ball.
And so on... (Thinking)

So you mean that we pick a ball $B_x(\epsilon) \subset \Omega$ such that $B_{x_0}(\delta) \subset B_x(\epsilon)$ ?

Which argument do you mean? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
Alternatively, it appears you already have a similar proof elsewhere (in the case of harmonic functions).
What is it? (Wondering)

I think the proof of the maximum principle of harmonic functions is meant.

Maximum principle: The harmonic in $\Omega$ function $v$ cannot achieve neither its maximum nor its minimal value at the inner points of $\Omega$ if it is not constant.

Proof: We suppose that $u$ achieves its maximum in $x_0 \in \Omega$, $u(x_0)=M$.
Without loss of generality we can suppose that $u>0$.
We have that $$u(x_0)=\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{|\xi-x_0|=\rho} u ds \ \forall \rho>0 \text{ if } |\xi-x_0|\leq\rho \subset \Omega$$

We suppose that $\exists \xi_0 \in \{|\xi-x_0|=\rho\}$ such that $u(\xi_0)<u(x_0)$, then $u(\xi)<u(x_0)$ in some region $\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}} \subset \{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\}$ ($\xi_0 \in \partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}$).

So $M=u(x_0)=\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}} u ds+\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\{|\xi-x_0=\rho \}\setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}}u ds< \frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}}\int_{|\xi-x_0|=\rho}M ds=M$, i.e. $M<M$ , contradiction.

Consequently $u(\xi)=u(x_0) \ \forall \xi \in \{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho \}$. Since $\rho$ is arbitrary from the interval $(0,d), d=dist(x_0, \partial{\Omega})$, we have that $u(x)=u(x_0)M \ \forall x \in \{ |x-x_0|<d\}$.

We pick now an arbitrary $y \in \Omega$. We will prove that $u(y)=u(x_0)$. We pick a curve $l$ that is in $\Omega$ and connects the points $x_0$ and $y$. Let $\overline{d}=dist(l,\partial{\Omega})$. We cover the curve $l$ with a finite number of spaces $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}, i=0,\dots,m$ ( balls with radius $\overline{d}$ and center at $x^i$ ) where $x^i \in l\ \forall i$ and $y \in B_m$. We have $u \equiv M$ in the spaces $B_1, B_2, \dots, B_m$ so $u(y)=M$.

First of all, why do we pick the balls $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}, i=0,\dots,m$ ?
And how do we deduce that $u \equiv M$ in the spaces $B_1, B_2, \dots, B_m$ ?

Btw... I haven't understood how we get the inequality at the following part, and so the contradiction.

$M=u(x_0)=\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}} u ds+\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\{|\xi-x_0=\rho \}\setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}}u ds< \frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}}\int_{|\xi-x_0|=\rho}M ds=M$

evinda said:
So you mean that we pick a ball $B_x(\epsilon) \subset \Omega$ such that $B_{x_0}(\delta) \subset B_x(\epsilon)$ ?

We pick $B_x(\epsilon) \subset \Omega$ with$B_{x_0}(\delta) \cap B_x(\epsilon) \ne \varnothing$. (Thinking)

Which argument do you mean? (Thinking)

Since $v$ takes a maximum value of $v(x_0)$ somewhere in $B_x(\epsilon)$, it must be constant in $B_x(\epsilon)$.

We pick now an arbitrary $y \in \Omega$. We will prove that $u(y)=u(x_0)$. We pick a curve $l$ that is in $\Omega$ and connects the points $x_0$ and $y$. Let $\overline{d}=dist(l,\partial{\Omega})$. We cover the curve $l$ with a finite number of spaces $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}, i=0,\dots,m$ ( balls with radius $\overline{d}$ and center at $x^i$ ) where $x^i \in l\ \forall i$ and $y \in B_m$. We have $u \equiv M$ in the spaces $B_1, B_2, \dots, B_m$ so $u(y)=M$.

First of all, why do we pick the balls $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}, i=0,\dots,m$ ?
And how do we deduce that $u \equiv M$ in the spaces $B_1, B_2, \dots, B_m$ ?

Turns out it's the same argument as I was already giving, just more formalized.
Btw, apparently it's already assumed that $\Omega$ is a connected open set, since it says that we can pick a curve that connects $x_0$ to an arbitrary point $y$.
We make a string of overlapping mini balls on the curve, and from the fact that $v(x)=v(x_0)$ for every point in the first ball, we must have a point in the second ball that also has the value of $v(x_0)$, which must still be the maximum. Therefore it's constant as well. And so on. (Nerd)

Btw... I haven't understood how we get the inequality at the following part, and so the contradiction.

$M=u(x_0)=\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}} u ds+\frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}} \int_{\{|\xi-x_0=\rho \}\setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}}u ds< \frac{1}{w_n \rho^{n-1}}\int_{|\xi-x_0|=\rho}M ds=M$

We assumed that $u$ was not constant with maximum $u(x_0)$ and that there was a point $\xi_0$ on the boundary with a lower value $u(\xi_0)$.
If there is, there must be a mini subset around it where $u(\xi) < u(x_0)$, while at the remainder of the boundary we only know $u(\xi) \le u(x_0)$.
Integrating it, we can make an upper estimate for the first integral that is $<M=u(x_0)$, and for the second integral that is $\le M=u(x_0)$. Together they give an estimate that is $<M$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We pick $B_x(\epsilon) \subset \Omega$ with$B_{x_0}(\delta) \cap B_x(\epsilon) \ne \varnothing$. (Thinking)
Since $v$ takes a maximum value of $v(x_0)$ somewhere in $B_x(\epsilon)$, it must be constant in $B_x(\epsilon)$.
Turns out it's the same argument as I was already giving, just more formalized.
Btw, apparently it's already assumed that $\Omega$ is a connected open set, since it says that we can pick a curve that connects $x_0$ to an arbitrary point $y$.
We make a string of overlapping mini balls on the curve, and from the fact that $v(x)=v(x_0)$ for every point in the first ball, we must have a point in the second ball that also has the value of $v(x_0)$, which must still be the maximum. Therefore it's constant as well. And so on. (Nerd)

I see... But could you maybe explain to me why we take these $B_i$ ?

I like Serena said:
Integrating it, we can make an upper estimate for the first integral that is $<M=u(x_0)$, and for the second integral that is $\le M=u(x_0)$. Together they give an estimate that is $<M$. (Thinking)

So we have that $\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} u ds \leq M w_n \rho^{n-1}$, right?

evinda said:
I see... But could you maybe explain to me why we take these $B_i$ ?

To prove that $u$ is not only constant and equal to $u(x_0)$ in $B_\epsilon(x_0)$ but also in any point $y\in\Omega$ that can be connected to $x_0$. (Thinking)
So we have that $\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} u ds \leq M w_n \rho^{n-1}$, right?

More accurately it's:
$$\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} u ds \leq M \int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
To prove that $u$ is not only constant and equal to $u(x_0)$ in $B_\epsilon(x_0)$ but also in any point $y\in\Omega$ that can be connected to $x_0$. (Thinking)
Yes, I see... But I haven't understood why in order to do so we take the balls with center $x^i \in l$ and radius $\frac{\overline{d}}{2}$, where $\overline{d}=dist(l, \partial{\Omega})$. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
More accurately it's:
$$\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} u ds \leq M \int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds$$
(Thinking)

I see... And $\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds=w_n \rho^{n-1}$, right?

evinda said:
Yes, I see... But I haven't understood why in order to do so we take the balls with center $x^i \in l$ and radius $\frac{\overline{d}}{2}$, where $\overline{d}=dist(l, \partial{\Omega})$. (Worried)

$\overline d$ is the smallest distance that any point of $l$ has to the boundary.
So balls with their center on $l$ and with radius $\frac{\overline{d}}{2}$ will be completely inside $\Omega$.
We pick $x^i \in l$ such that the balls together "cover" the curve $l$.
That is, each of the consecutive balls overlap with each other. (Thinking)

I see... And $\int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds=w_n \rho^{n-1}$, right?

Not quite.
We have:
$$\int_{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}} ds + \int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds=w_n \rho^{n-1}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
$\overline d$ is the smallest distance that any point of $l$ has to the boundary.
So balls with their center on $l$ and with radius $\frac{\overline{d}}{2}$ will be completely inside $\Omega$.
We pick $x^i \in l$ such that the balls together "cover" the curve $l$.

I see. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
That is, each of the consecutive balls overlap with each other. (Thinking)

How do we see that each of the consecutive balls overlap with each other?

We have for example $B_1=\{ |x-x^1|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}$ and $B_2=\{ |x-x^2|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}$.
How do we deduce that $B_1 \cap B_2 \neq \varnothing$?

I like Serena said:
Not quite.
We have:
$$\int_{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}} ds + \int_{\{ |\xi-x_0|=\rho\} \setminus{\partial{\Omega_{\epsilon}}}} ds=w_n \rho^{n-1}$$
(Thinking)

Ah, I see... (Smile)

evinda said:
How do we see that each of the consecutive balls overlap with each other?

We have for example $B_1=\{ |x-x^1|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}$ and $B_2=\{ |x-x^2|< \frac{\overline{d}}{2}\}$.
How do we deduce that $B_1 \cap B_2 \neq \varnothing$?

By picking $x^2$ such that $|x^2-x^1|< \overline{d}$.
If 2 balls are closer together than the sum of their radius's, they overlap. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
By picking $x^2$ such that $|x^2-x^1|< \overline{d}$.
If 2 balls are closer together than the sum of their radius's, they overlap. (Thinking)

I see... But we have to mention that we pick the balls $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|\}< \frac{\overline{d}}{2} \}$ such that $|x^{i+1}-x^i|< \overline{d}, i=0, \dots,m-1$, don't we? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I see... But we have to mention that we pick the balls $B_i=\{ |x-x^i|\}< \frac{\overline{d}}{2} \}$ such that $|x^{i+1}-x^i|< \overline{d}, i=0, \dots,m-1$, don't we? (Thinking)

In the proof it says: 'We cover the curve ...'.
That's what the word 'cover' means.
So it's already there. (Smirk)

I like Serena said:
In the proof it says: 'We cover the curve ...'.
That's what the word 'cover' means.
So it's already there. (Smirk)

I see... Thank you very much! (Smile)

Related to Maximum principle for subharmonic functions

What is the maximum principle for subharmonic functions?

The maximum principle for subharmonic functions states that the maximum value of a subharmonic function in a region is attained on its boundary, unless the function is constant.

How is the maximum principle for subharmonic functions useful in mathematics?

The maximum principle for subharmonic functions is useful in proving the uniqueness of solutions to certain partial differential equations. It also has applications in complex analysis and potential theory.

Can the maximum principle for subharmonic functions be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the maximum principle for subharmonic functions can be extended to higher dimensions using the mean value property. In this case, the maximum value of a subharmonic function in a region is attained on the boundary or at a point inside the region, depending on the dimension.

How is the maximum principle for subharmonic functions related to the maximum principle for harmonic functions?

The maximum principle for subharmonic functions is a generalization of the maximum principle for harmonic functions. Both principles state that the maximum value of a function in a region is attained on its boundary, but the maximum principle for subharmonic functions allows for the possibility of the function being constant.

What are some applications of the maximum principle for subharmonic functions?

The maximum principle for subharmonic functions has applications in various fields of mathematics, including complex analysis, potential theory, and partial differential equations. It is also used in the study of minimal surfaces and the theory of optimal control.