Maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a system that requires high current for short pulse lengths. The speaker wonders if there is a power limit for wires when the overall energy drawn is small compared to a tolerated dc system. They reference the concept of I2t and suggest familiarizing oneself with it. Other limits, such as inductance and resistance, will also affect the current pulse. There is a potential for the wire to explode at a high rate of energy deposition, but it is unlikely in this scenario. The speaker thanks the other person for the links provided.
anorred
So I'm designing a system that requires an extremely high amount of current for an extremely short pulse lengths. These pulses would be consecutively spaced at relatively large intervals from one another. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of instantaneous power limit to wires, even if the overall energy drawn is very small compared to that of a tolerated dc system.

Let's say the pulsed current in these wires is 50 times larger than the maximum rated dc current of the wires, but the pulse length is 20,000 times shorter than that of the interval length (50 microsecond pulse lengths for 1 second intervals).

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should familiarize yourself with the concept of I2t
which is presented in fuse tutorials, among other places

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/files/littelfuse/technical%20resources/documents/product%20catalogs/littelfuse_powrgard_fuseology.pdf

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/product-datasheets-b/Bus_Ele_DS_8005_Fuseology.pdf

There will be other limits to amplitude of your current pulse, like the inductance and resistance of the loop through which you are attempting to drive it.

There is some rate of energy deposition at which the wire will explode
but it doesn't sound like you will approach that.

Yes theoretically, I think it should be ok. I'll read the links you posted. Thank you very much.

Related to Maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length

What is the maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length?

The maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length is the maximum level of electrical current that can be safely applied to a material or device during the generation of an ultra short pulse. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on various factors such as the material properties, pulse duration, and the desired outcome of the experiment.

Why is the maximum allowable current important for ultra short pulse length?

The maximum allowable current is important for ultra short pulse length because it ensures the safety of the material or device being used. Applying too much current can cause damage or failure, while using too little current may not produce the desired results. It is crucial to determine and adhere to the maximum allowable current to ensure the success of the experiment and the protection of equipment.

How is the maximum allowable current determined for ultra short pulse length?

The maximum allowable current is determined through various methods, such as conducting tests on the material or device, consulting safety guidelines and regulations, and analyzing previous experimental data. It is important to consider all relevant factors and use caution when determining the maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length.

What are the potential risks of exceeding the maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length?

Exceeding the maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length can result in damage or failure of the material or device being used, as well as potential safety hazards for the researcher. It can also compromise the accuracy and reliability of the experimental results. It is crucial to carefully follow the determined maximum allowable current to prevent any potential risks.

Can the maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length be increased?

The maximum allowable current for ultra short pulse length is determined based on safety guidelines and the capabilities of the material or device being used. In some cases, it may be possible to increase the maximum allowable current by making modifications to the experimental setup or using different materials. However, it is important to thoroughly assess the risks and ensure that safety protocols are followed before making any changes.