Maximizing Spring Elongation in Charged Object System

In summary: Since these objects are moving in opposite directions, you have to consider the work done by the external force while making the equations. :)Work Energy theorem is the best approach according to me.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

Two equal and opposite charged objects of magnitude 2C and mass 2kg are attached to a spring of spring constant 4 N/m in the natural length of the spring. The system is suddenly placed in a uniform electric field of field strength 5 N/C in the direction of electric field such that the -ve charge is towards the origin of electric field. assuming the natural length of the spring to be large, find the maximum compression and elongation in the spring length.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find the maximum extension.

Let charge -2 C be at a distance x1 and charge +2 be at a distance x2 from the origin .

Let the length of the spring be l .

The length of the spring at any instant is x2-x1 .

The extension in the spring would be x2-x1-l .

The force of attraction between the charges would be kq2/(x2-x1)2 i.e 16/(x2-x1)2

Force due to the external electric field will be of magnitude 10N .

EOM for mass 1 (i.e -2C ) will be k(x2-x1-l)-10+16/(x2-x1)2 = 2d2x1/dt2

EOM for mass 2 (i.e +2C ) will be 10-k(x2-x1-l)-16/(x2-x1)2 = 2d2x2/dt2

From the above we get ,

2(d2x2/dt2-d2x1/dt2)=20-2k(x2-x1-l)-32/(x2-x1)2

or , d2x2/dt2-d2x1/dt2=10-k(x2-x1-l)-16/(x2-x1)2

d2(x2-x1)/dt2=10-k(x2-x1-l)-16/(x2-x1)2

Now putting x2-x1 = z ,

We have d2z/dt2=10-k(z-l)-16/z2 .Now I need to maximize z .

Is it the correct way to approach the problem ?

I would be grateful if someone could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• spring-block.PNG
    spring-block.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Tanya!

I am not sure but I think you are required to use the assumption that the natural length of spring is large to cancel one of the factors.

Also, how do you get kq^2=20?

For this kind of problems (two interacting bodies) it is usually simplest to convert to the CoM frame and use conservation of total momentum in the CoM frame. This separates coordinates into the coordinates of the CoM and the distance between the bodies.

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure but I think you are required to use the assumption that the natural length of spring is large to cancel one of the factors.

Does that mean the force between the charges doesn't come in picture ? Do I have to neglect this force ?

Pranav-Arora said:
Also, how do you get kq^2=20?

I have fixed the error .kq2=16

Have I approached it correctly ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Does that mean the force between the charges doesn't come in picture ? Do I have to neglect this force ?
This is what I think but as I said, I am not sure. :)

I have fixed the error .kq2=16
Still incorrect. It looks to me as if you are confusing the Coulomb's constant with the spring constant.

Pranav-Arora said:
Still incorrect. It looks to me as if you are confusing the Coulomb's constant with the spring constant.

:redface: . Forgive me for that .What next ?

Tanya Sharma said:
:redface: . Forgive me for that .What next ?

You can use the substitution ##x_2-x_1-l=z## but your substitution is fine too.

What do you get if you solve the differential equation? I suggest to denote everything by symbols and substitute the values later.

Btw, voko's method is a nice one, you can use energy conservation in the CM frame, no need of differential equations. :)

Work Energy theorem is the best approach according to me.
Since the magnitude of charge and the masses are same, these objects will move symmetrically in opposite directions. Therefore, when maximum compression and elongation occur, both the objects will be at rest. So you just have to consider
(i)Spring potential energy
(ii)Interaction potential energy
(iii)Work done by external force
while making the equations.

I understand work energy approach is better .But since I started off with DE's ,want to finish it first.

The DE is

d2(x2-x1)/dt2=10-k(x2-x1-l)

Now putting x2-x1 = z ,

We have d2z/dt2=10-k(z-l)

or , d2z/dt2+kz-(kl+10) = 0The solution is z = C1cos(√kt) + C2sin(√kt) + (l + 10/k)

Does that make sense ?

"assuming the natural length of the spring to be large" means that you are supposed to approach the problem assuming that ## s = z - l << l ##. It does not mean that the term for the electrical interaction between the charges is completely neglected. It means that it must be approximated with a term linear in ##s##.

Hi voko...

Suppose we neglect the force between the charges , does post #9 makes sense ?

In the sense whether the solution of the equation in #9 is correct, yes.

Okay...

So ,z = C1cos(√kt) + C2sin(√kt) + (l + 10/k)

Now ,using z(0) = l we get C1 = -10/k .

How do I find C2 ?

What about ##\dot z(0)##?

That gives C2 = 0 .

So,z =(-10/k)cos(√kt) + (l+10/k) . Is it correct ?

The equation from #9, which you have solved, is not a correct equation for the original problem. Yet you used the initial conditions from the original problem to determine the coefficients in its solution. That does not look correct to me.

voko said:
"assuming the natural length of the spring to be large" means that you are supposed to approach the problem assuming that ## s = z - l << l ##. It does not mean that the term for the electrical interaction between the charges is completely neglected. It means that it must be approximated with a term linear in ##s##.

Hi voko! :smile:

This is the DE we have:
$$-2k(x_2-x_1-l)-\frac{2Kq^2}{(x_2-x_1)^2}+2qE=m\left(\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}-\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}\right)$$

If we go with Tanya's substitution ##x_2-x_1=z##, I don't see how we get z-l in the denominator of electric force. :confused:

I suggest that you first rewrite that equation in terms of ##s##. Then think how you can simplify the equation if ##s \ll l##.

voko said:
I suggest that you first rewrite that equation in terms of ##s##. Then think how you can simplify the equation if ##s \ll l##.

OK, so I switch to the substitution ##x_2-x_1-l=s##, then I have ##\ddot{x_2}-\ddot{x_1}=\ddot{s}##, hence
$$-2ks-\frac{2Kq^2}{(s+l)^2}+2qE=m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}$$
$$\Rightarrow -2ks-\frac{2Kq^2}{l^2}\left(1+\frac{s}{l}\right)^{-2}+2qE=m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}$$
$$\Rightarrow m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-2ks+\frac{4Kq^2s}{l^3}+2qE-\frac{2Kq^2}{l^2}$$
Do I have to solve the above DE?

The problem does not want you to solve differential equations. It wants you to find the minimum and maximum elongations.

Note that the equation you obtained can be re-interpreted as an equation for a massive particle in a force field, where the force depends linearly on the position. That force is potential, so you could find the corresponding potential energy. Then you can write down the equation for conservation of energy, and determine the min/max elongation from it.

voko said:
The problem does not want you to solve differential equations. It wants you to find the minimum and maximum elongations.

Note that the equation you obtained can be re-interpreted as an equation for a massive particle in a force field, where the force depends linearly on the position. That force is potential, so you could find the corresponding potential energy. Then you can write down the equation for conservation of energy, and determine the min/max elongation from it.

But still, I would like to know if the DE is correct.

Okay, I try the conservation of energy. The acceleration of COM is zero. I switch to COM frame and use conservation of energy. Initially, let both the masses move away from each other, then
$$\frac{-Kq^2}{l}=qE(x_1+x_2)+\frac{1}{2}k(x_1+x_2)^2+\frac{-Kq^2}{(l+x_1+x_2)}$$
where ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the distances moved by A and B. Also, at max elongation, kinetic energy of blocks is zero. Let ##x_1+x_2=s##, then
$$\Rightarrow Kq^2\left(\frac{1}{l+s}-\frac{1}{l}\right)=qEs+\frac{1}{2}ks^2$$
$$\Rightarrow -\frac{Kq^2}{l^2}\left(1-\frac{s}{l}\right)=qE+\frac{1}{2}ks$$

Is the above correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
But still, I would like to know if the DE is correct.

Yes, it was correct. I did not mean that you should drop that equation. Rather, I meant that you could use that equation to restore the potential energy for the fictitious massive particle. The equation was ## m \ddot s = F(s) ##, so find ##U(s)## such that ## F(s) = - U'(s) ##, then use conservation of energy.

Okay, I try the conservation of energy. The acceleration of COM is zero. I switch to COM frame and use conservation of energy. Initially, let both the masses move away from each other, then
$$\frac{-Kq^2}{l}=qE(x_1+x_2)+\frac{1}{2}k(x_1+x_2)^2+\frac{-Kq^2}{(l+x_1+x_2)}$$
where ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the distances moved by A and B.

I do not follow you here. The LHS is apparently the initial potential energy of electric interaction of the charges. What the about the initial potential energy of the interaction with the field?

I am having difficulty understanding the RHS. It seems that ##x_1## and ##x_2## are measured from the CoM, but they use different sign conventions. Is that correct? Secondly, the RHS must have terms for kinetic energy in general.

But, again, I did not mean that you should drop the DE and redo everything from scratch.

voko said:
Yes, it was correct. I did not mean that you should drop that equation. Rather, I meant that you could use that equation to restore the potential energy for the fictitious massive particle. The equation was ## m \ddot s = F(s) ##, so find ##U(s)## such that ## F(s) = - U'(s) ##, then use conservation of energy.

I do not follow you here. The LHS is apparently the initial potential energy of electric interaction of the charges. What the about the initial potential energy of the interaction with the field?

I am having difficulty understanding the RHS. It seems that ##x_1## and ##x_2## are measured from the CoM, but they use different sign conventions. Is that correct? Secondly, the RHS must have terms for kinetic energy in general.

But, again, I did not mean that you should drop the DE and redo everything from scratch.

Sorry for so many errors voko. :redface:

I asked Tanya for the answer to the given problem and the given answer is ##2qE/k##. If we neglect the attractive Coulomb force, this answer is easily reached. Is there an error in the question?

I have to leave now, I will make a correction post when I return. Thank you for all the help voko! :smile:

Well, if that is the answer, then the problem was already solved.

I would not say there is an error in the question, but it is definitely ambiguous. It should have said "ignore the interaction between the charges".

voko said:
Well, if that is the answer, then the problem was already solved.

I would not say there is an error in the question, but it is definitely ambiguous. It should have said "ignore the interaction between the charges".

Thanks voko! :)

So we have the following DE:
$$-2ks+2qE=m\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}$$
The solution of the above differential equation is:
$$s(t)=\frac{qE}{k}+A\sin(\omega t)+B\cos(\omega t)$$
where ##\omega=\sqrt{2k/m}##.
Using the initial conditions,
$$s(t)=\frac{qE}{k}(1-\cos(\omega t) )$$
The question asks the maximum compression and maximum elongation. Maximum elongation is maximum of ##s(t)## i.e ##2qE/k##, how to find the maximum compression? :confused:

Minimum elongation does not mean there will be any compression. From the final formula for ##s##, it is obvious that the minimum elongation is zero.

That could also have been understood from conservation of energy. Initially, kinetic energy was zero, so potential energy must have been at a maximum, thus the initial state must correspond to either min or max elongation.

voko said:
Minimum elongation does not mean there will be any compression. From the final formula for ##s##, it is obvious that the minimum elongation is zero.

That could also have been understood from conservation of energy. Initially, kinetic energy was zero, so potential energy must have been at a maximum, thus the initial state must correspond to either min or max elongation.

I too thought that the minimum elongation should be zero as seen from the equation but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks a lot for clearing it up voko! :smile:

Related to Maximizing Spring Elongation in Charged Object System

1. What is the spring constant of a spring with charged objects?

The spring constant of a spring with charged objects depends on the material and shape of the spring, as well as the amount and distribution of charge on the objects. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the charge on the objects affect the behavior of the spring?

The charge on the objects affects the behavior of the spring by creating an electrostatic force between them. This force can either attract or repel the objects, causing the spring to stretch or compress. The larger the charge on the objects, the stronger the electrostatic force and the more the spring will stretch or compress.

3. Can the spring constant change if the charge on the objects changes?

Yes, the spring constant can change if the charge on the objects changes. This is because the electrostatic force between the objects and the spring is directly proportional to the product of their charges. If the charge on one or both objects changes, the force and therefore the spring constant will also change.

4. How does the distance between the charged objects affect the spring?

The distance between the charged objects affects the spring by changing the strength of the electrostatic force between them. As the distance increases, the force decreases, causing the spring to stretch or compress less. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases, causing the spring to stretch or compress more.

5. How can I calculate the displacement of the spring with charged objects?

The displacement of the spring with charged objects can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be combined with Coulomb's Law to account for the electrostatic force between the charged objects and the spring. The resulting equation can then be solved for displacement.