Maximizing Launch Distance for a Penny Shooter

• Thread starter PoofyHair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation is about building a penny shooter and finding ways to accelerate the penny. Suggestions include using compressed spring or CO2 cartridges, but caution is advised as it can be dangerous. One person shares a link to a website with instructions on how to build a penny shooter. The conversation ends with a question about how far a spring can launch the penny.
PoofyHair
Hi,

First of all, I highly doubt this is in the correct forum so move it if necessary. I've been at this forum for a while although I never really bothered to post anything. The other day however, I decided that I wanted to build a penny shooter, or a gun that shoots penny's into maybe watermelons or items of that nature. The problem is that I am having trouble finding ways to accelerate the penny. A compressor would be too big, so my guess is that pressure is out of the deal. Any ideas from you guys?

-PoofyHair

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using a compressed spring, and see how much effective it is. It can be dangerous, though.

Compressor? What about using CO2 cartridges?

How far do you think a spring would launch it?

Related to Maximizing Launch Distance for a Penny Shooter

What materials do I need to build a penny shooter?

To build a penny shooter, you will need a sturdy tube (such as PVC pipe), a rubber band, a small piece of tape, and of course, pennies.

What is the best type of tube to use for a penny shooter?

The best type of tube to use for a penny shooter is a PVC pipe with a diameter of about 1 inch. This type of pipe is strong enough to withstand the force of the rubber band and has a smooth surface, allowing the penny to slide out easily.

How do I assemble the penny shooter?

To assemble the penny shooter, start by cutting a piece of PVC pipe to your desired length (around 8-10 inches is recommended). Then, make a small hole near one end of the pipe and another hole on the opposite side, about an inch away. Insert the rubber band through one hole and stretch it across to the other, securing it with a small piece of tape. Your penny shooter is now ready to use!

What is the best way to aim and shoot a penny with the shooter?

The best way to aim and shoot a penny with the shooter is to hold the pipe with one hand and pull back on the rubber band with the other. Aim the shooter towards your target and release the rubber band to shoot the penny.

Are there any safety precautions I should take while using the penny shooter?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind while using the penny shooter. Always aim the shooter away from people and fragile objects. Also, be careful not to pull back the rubber band too far or release it too close to your face. And as always, use common sense and caution when handling any type of projectile device.