Maximizing Friction Incline Stability with Spring Release

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a 80kg block on a 20 degree incline against a spring, released from rest. The coefficient of static friction was given as 0.25. The question asked for the maximum and minimum values of the initial compression force in the spring to prevent the block from slipping on release. The solution involved determining the normal force, parallel and perpendicular forces, and friction force. The maximum force the spring could exert without pushing the block up the incline was found to be approximately 452.79N, and the minimum force to prevent the block from slipping down the incline was found to be approximately 84.05N. The conversation also discussed a scenario where the spring compression force was
bnosam

Homework Statement

80kg box is on a 20 degree incline against a spring and is released from rest. Coefficient of static friction is .25. Determine max and in values of the intial compression force in the spring so that block will not slip on release.

Then calculate the magnitude and direction of friction acting on the block if the spring compression force is 200N

Homework Equations

FBD: http://i57.tinypic.com/2hs7orr.png

(80kg)*(9.81m/s^2) = 784.8N
Fnormal = (784.8 N) *(cos20) = 737.47 N
Fwparallel = 784.8sin20 = 268.42 N
Fwperpendicular = 784.8 * cos20 = 737.47 N

Ffriction = (268.42)*(.25) = 67.11N[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

See 2
I'm not sure where to go with the spring. Don't we need a spring constant for this?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
bnosam said:
Ffriction = (268.42)*(.25) = 67.11N
Say again?

Whoops.

Ffriction = (737.47)*(.25) = 184.37N.

bnosam said:
Whoops.

Ffriction = (737.47)*(.25) = 184.37N.
So, how much is left for the spring to do?

268.42 - 184.37 = 84.05N

bnosam said:
Don't we need a spring constant for this?
No. You are only asked for the force, not the compression length.

I'm not understanding what it's asking for "min and max values of intial compression force for the spring" at all. I just can't turn the words into something meaningful to me.

bnosam said:
I'm not understanding what it's asking for "min and max values of initial compression force for the spring" at all. I just can't turn the words into something meaningful to me.
If the spring is compressed enough it may exert enough force to push the block up the incline. What is the maximum force the spring can exert, without pushing the block up the incline?

If the incline is steep enough, the block will need an external force applied so that it doesn't slide down the incline. In that case, what minimum force must the spring exert?

SammyS said:
If the spring is compressed enough it may exert enough force to push the block up the incline. What is the maximum force the spring can exert, without pushing the block up the incline?

If the incline is steep enough, the block will need an external force applied so that it doesn't slide down the incline. In that case, what minimum force must the spring exert?

Wouldn't the maximum force it can exert be what I solved above since that is enough to stop the box from moving down further?

bnosam said:
Wouldn't the maximum force it can exert be what I solved above since that is enough to stop the box from moving down further?
No, there are two different constraints. If the force is too small, the block will slide down. If too great, it will slide up. Think about which way friction acts in each case.

Friction will be opposite the direction of motion.

bnosam said:
... or, for static friction, opposes the motion that would occur were there no friction.
So what equations do you get for the two extremes?

Ok, I'm still confused how to even go about this.

The only thing I'm familiar with in regards to springs is hooke's law.

bnosam said:
Ok, I'm still confused how to even go about this.

The only thing I'm familiar with in regards to springs is hooke's law.
The fact that it is a spring is irrelevant here. There is a block of known mass on a slope with known angle and known friction. A force is applied to it in the up slope direction. What is the minimum value of the force to prevent its slipping down the slope? What is the maximum to avoid pushing it up the slope?

So it's sliding down the slope with a force of 268.42 N, right?

Because of friction that force is reduced to 84.05 N so the spring would have to at least support that to prevent it from slipping down further.

But in that case wouldn't the minimum have to be the maximum be also equal to the minimum? :S

bnosam said:

bnosam said:
Because of friction that force is reduced to 84.05 N

Think again about the direction of friction when the force from the spring is very large.

haruspex said:
Think again about the direction of friction when the force from the spring is very large.
If the force is large the spring pushes it up so the friction will be moving down the slow while the block moves up.

bnosam said:
If the force is large the spring pushes it up so the friction will be moving down the slow while the block moves up.
Right, so what equation do you get for the forces in that case?

Fspring - Ffriction - Fwparallel

Fspring - 184.37 - 268.42
Fspring = 452.79 N

bnosam said:
Fspring - Ffriction - Fwparallel

Fspring - 184.37 - 268.42
Fspring = 452.79 N
Good. All ok now?

So maximum is 452.79 and minimum is 84.05N, if I understand correctly

bnosam said:
So maximum is 452.79 and minimum is 84.05N, if I understand correctly
yes.

So if the spring compression force is 200N then. Assuming it pushes it up:

200N - Fwparallel - Ffriction ?
200 - 452.79 = -252.79N

bnosam said:
So if the spring compression force is 200N then. Assuming it pushes it up:

200N - Fwparallel - Ffriction ?
200 - 452.79 = -252.79N
Again, you need to decide which way friction acts. If there were no friction, with a spring force of 200N up the slope, which way would the block move?

200 - Fwparallel = -68.42 N

It would go down the slope

bnosam said:
200 - Fwparallel = -68.42 N

It would go down the slope
The block would slide down, yes, so that's the right answer, except that the problem statement does not specify which way is positive. Therefore you should state the answer as a magnitude and either "up slope" or "down slope".

haruspex said:
The block would slide down, yes, so that's the right answer, except that the problem statement does not specify which way is positive. Therefore you should state the answer as a magnitude and either "up slope" or "down slope".
Alright, awesome. Thank you very much :)

Word problems are so confusing to understand lol.

Helpful people like you are why I'm a gold member here.

Related to Maximizing Friction Incline Stability with Spring Release

What is "Friction incline with spring"?

"Friction incline with spring" refers to a scientific experiment or model that investigates the relationship between friction, incline angle, and the behavior of a spring. It involves measuring the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object on a ramp with varying incline angles, and how those measurements change when a spring is added to the system.

Why is studying "Friction incline with spring" important?

Studying "Friction incline with spring" is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of friction and how it affects the motion of objects on inclined surfaces. It also allows us to explore the behavior of springs and how they can be used to model and predict the motion of objects in various situations.

What factors affect the behavior of "Friction incline with spring"?

The behavior of "Friction incline with spring" is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, and the stiffness of the spring. Other factors such as air resistance and surface conditions may also have an impact.

How is "Friction incline with spring" measured and analyzed?

To measure and analyze "Friction incline with spring", scientists typically use tools such as force sensors, motion sensors, and rulers to collect data on the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object. This data is then used to create graphs and equations that describe the relationship between these variables and the incline angle, friction, and spring stiffness.

What real-world applications does "Friction incline with spring" have?

Studying "Friction incline with spring" has several real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing conveyor belts, roller coasters, and other inclined systems. It can also be applied in disciplines such as engineering, physics, and sports science to understand the motion of objects on inclined surfaces and how to improve their performance.