Maximizing f(x,y,z) with Constraint and Lagrange Multipliers

In summary, the problem is to maximize the function f(x,y,z)=x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2} with the constraint x^{4}+y^{4}+z^{4}=1 using Lagrange multipliers. The Lagrangian for this problem is L = f + u*g where g is the constraint function. By solving for the partial derivatives and equating them to 0, we find three stationary points: (x,y,z)=(1/3^(1/4),1/3^(1/4),1/3^(1/4)), (0,1/2^(1/4),1/2^(1/4)), and (1,0,0
BeBattey

Homework Statement

Maximize f(x,y,z)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+z[tex]^{2}[/tex] with constraint x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+y[tex]^{4}[/tex]+z[tex]^{4}[/tex]=1 using Lagrange multipliers

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the setup as:
[tex]\Lambda[/tex](x,y,z,[tex]\lambda[/tex])=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+z[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]y[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]z[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]

I solve for all partials nice and clean, and spit out [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] as the minimum value fine, with x=y=z=sqrt(6)/4 but I can't for the life of my find out how the max is 1.

Any and all help, even direction greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BeBattey said:

Homework Statement

Maximize f(x,y,z)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+z[tex]^{2}[/tex] with constraint x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+y[tex]^{4}[/tex]+z[tex]^{4}[/tex]=1 using Lagrange multipliers

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the setup as:
[tex]\Lambda[/tex](x,y,z,[tex]\lambda[/tex])=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+z[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]y[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]z[tex]^{4}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex]

I solve for all partials nice and clean, and spit out [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] as the minimum value fine, with x=y=z=sqrt(6)/4 but I can't for the life of my find out how the max is 1.

Any and all help, even direction greatly appreciated.

Using the symbol u instead of [tex]\lambda[/tex], the Lagrangian for max or min f subject to g = 0 is L = f + u*g (or f - u*g---it just amounts to a sign change in u). Anyway, choosing the +u form the Lagrangian is [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2+u(x^4+y^4+z^4-1)[/tex], so the optimality conditions are [tex] 2x + 4ux^3 = 0[/tex], etc. Either x = 0 or x = +-1/sqrt(-2u), etc. If we choose x = y = z = 1/sqrt(-2u) and impose the constraint, we have u = -sqrt(3)/2, giving x=y=z=1/3^(1/4) and f = sqrt(3). If we choose x = 0 and y = z = 1/sqrt(-2u), the constraint gives u=-1/sqrt(2), which gives x=0, y=z=1/2^(1/4) and f = sqrt(2). If we choose the solution x=y=0, z=1/sqrt(-2u) the constraint gives u=-1/2, giving z = 1 and so f = 1. Therefore, 1 is the minimum of f and sqrt(3) is the maximum. The other value f = sqrt(2) is at a "saddle point".

We could also use second-order tests to check for max/min, namely, to check whether the Hessian of the Lagrangian (not the function f) is positive definite, negative definite or indefinite at a given stationary point (x*,y*,z*,u*).

I verified my solution using the global solver in LINGO11, solving both the max and min problems.

RGV

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is impossible to say what you did wrong because you do not show how you got that answer, but if you believe that [itex]x= y= z= \sqrt{6}/4[/itex] gives a max or min for this problem, you must be completely misunderstanding the problem because they do not satisfy the constraint:
[tex]x^4+ y^4+ z^4= \frac{36}{64}+ \frac{36}{64}+ \frac{36}{64}= \frac{9}{16}+ \frac{9}{16}+ \frac{9}{16}= \frac{27}{16}[/tex]
NOT 1!

Related to Maximizing f(x,y,z) with Constraint and Lagrange Multipliers

1. What is a Lagrange multiplier?

A Lagrange multiplier is a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to equality constraints. It involves introducing a new variable, known as the multiplier, to incorporate the constraints into the optimization problem.

2. When is a Lagrange multiplier used?

A Lagrange multiplier is typically used in optimization problems where the objective function needs to be maximized or minimized while satisfying a set of constraints. It is commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering.

3. How does a Lagrange multiplier work?

A Lagrange multiplier works by creating a system of equations where the gradient of the objective function is equal to a scalar multiple of the gradient of the constraint function. This scalar multiple is the Lagrange multiplier, which can be solved for to find the optimal solution.

4. What are the benefits of using a Lagrange multiplier?

A Lagrange multiplier allows for the optimization of functions subject to constraints, which can be difficult to do using other methods. It also provides a way to incorporate constraints into the optimization problem without needing to explicitly solve for them.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Lagrange multiplier?

One limitation of using a Lagrange multiplier is that it may not always lead to the global optimum solution. It is also not suitable for optimization problems with inequality constraints. Additionally, the Lagrange multiplier method can be computationally expensive for complex problems.