Maximizing Distance Traveled with 1200 Joules of Fuel in a Potato Cannon

In summary, the task is to build a potato cannon using an amount of perfume with an energy level of 1200 joules. The goal is to maximize the distance the potato travels when shot. Equations needed include W=FD, P=P+ρgh, F=ma, and kinematics formulas. The cannon will consist of a long pvc pipe with a chamber at one end, but the length and size of the chamber are unknown. The size of the potato is not a factor as the end of the pipe will be sharpened to fit any size. The individual is seeking guidance on where to begin with this task.
cupcuppycup

Homework Statement

We are given an amount perfume, that has an energy level amounting to 1200 joules. Using this as the fuel, i need to build a potato cannon. How can i build the cannon to maximize the distance the potato travels when shot with this amount of fuel?

Homework Equations

W=FD
P=P+ρgh
F=ma
Kinematics formulas
F=PA

The Attempt at a Solution

The cannon will consist of a long pvc pipe with a chamber at one end to hold the fuel, but i don't know how long to make the pipe or how big to make the chamber. the size of the potato won't matter because I am going to sharpen the end of the pipe so the potato will fit in no matter what. I am not sure where to start. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and those arent all of the equations needed. there might be others but i forgot about them

Related to Maximizing Distance Traveled with 1200 Joules of Fuel in a Potato Cannon

1. How can I increase the distance traveled with 1200 Joules of fuel in a potato cannon?

To maximize the distance traveled with a potato cannon, you can try the following tips:

• Use a longer barrel to allow the potato to accelerate for a longer period of time.
  • Ensure that the potato is tightly packed in the barrel to create a better seal and more pressure.
  • Use a larger diameter barrel to allow for more air/fuel to be released at once.
  • Experiment with different types of fuel, such as hairspray or propane, to find the most efficient option.
  • Optimize the angle at which the cannon is fired to minimize air resistance.

2. How do I calculate the maximum distance that can be achieved with 1200 Joules of fuel?

The maximum distance that can be achieved with a potato cannon and 1200 Joules of fuel can be calculated using the following formula:

d = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g

Where d is the maximum distance, v is the initial velocity of the potato, θ is the angle at which the cannon is fired, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. Is there a limit to how far a potato cannon can shoot with 1200 Joules of fuel?

Yes, there are limitations to how far a potato cannon can shoot with 1200 Joules of fuel. The maximum distance will depend on various factors such as the design of the cannon, the type of fuel used, and external factors like wind resistance. However, using the tips mentioned above can help maximize the distance traveled.

4. Can I use any type of potato as a projectile for a potato cannon?

It is recommended to use a starchy potato for the best results in a potato cannon. Other types of potatoes, such as waxy or watery ones, may not create enough pressure to propel the potato effectively.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using a potato cannon?

When using a potato cannon, it is important to follow these safety precautions:

• Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any debris or fuel that may spray out.
  • Make sure to have a clear and open area to shoot the potato cannon.
  • Always point the cannon in a safe direction and never aim it at people or animals.
  • Do not tamper with the cannon or use it in a way it was not intended for.
  • Be aware of your surroundings and never use the cannon in a densely populated area.