Maximizing Area of Cross-Section of Isosceles Trapezoid

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a trapezoid problem involving maximizing its area. They share their attempt at a solution and ask for further clarification. The expert points out an error in their calculation and mentions that differentiation is not needed since sin60 is a constant.
ha9981

Homework Statement

attached. It is just part a i am attempting for now.

Homework Equations

area of trapezoid = h(b1+b2 / 2)
where h is height, b1 is base one and b2 is base two.

The Attempt at a Solution

i really tried, i didn't know where to start. the answer i got was 30cm for base, while the correct answer was 20cm for base and sides. I am not sure where to go with this problem my first try was a guess and obviously didn't work properly. I think maybe i need someone to better explain this problem to me.

Attachments

• calctrapezoid.jpg
    calctrapezoid.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,807
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ha9981! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, so we can see where the problem is, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

I am stuck on understanding exactly what the problem is asking.
I know i have to maximize the area, which i have the equation for, so ill find the derivative and set it to zero (due to turning points which are max and mins).

But I need a related equation as well, is it going to be perimeter?

here is my attempt:

Let x be the length folded.
Let y be the width folded.

total length = 5 - 2x

total width = AD + BC + AB
0.60 = 2y + AB

also i know:

x = BCsin60
x = ysin60

area of trapezoid = ysin60 ((0.60+(0.60-2y)) / 2)
area of trapezoid = ysin60 ((1.20 - 2y)/2)

Now i know there is something fatally wrong here since we didn't learn derivatives of sin function so i can't progress!

ha9981 said:
area of trapezoid = ysin60 ((0.60+(0.60-2y)) / 2)
area of trapezoid = ysin60 ((1.20 - 2y)/2)

Now i know there is something fatally wrong here since we didn't learn derivatives of sin function so i can't progress!

Hi ha9981! :smile:

(i haven't checked your formula, but …)

sin60 is a constant

differentiation not needed! :wink:

Related to Maximizing Area of Cross-Section of Isosceles Trapezoid

1. How do I find the maximum area of an isosceles trapezoid?

The maximum area of an isosceles trapezoid can be found by using the formula: A = (1/2)h(b1 + b2), where A is the area, h is the height, and b1 and b2 are the lengths of the parallel sides.

2. What is the difference between an isosceles trapezoid and a regular trapezoid?

An isosceles trapezoid has two equal sides and two parallel sides, while a regular trapezoid has no equal sides and two parallel sides.

3. How does the angle between the equal sides affect the area of an isosceles trapezoid?

The area of an isosceles trapezoid is maximized when the angle between the equal sides is 90 degrees. As the angle decreases or increases, the area decreases.

4. Can the area of an isosceles trapezoid be greater than the area of a rectangle with the same base and height?

Yes, the area of an isosceles trapezoid can be greater than the area of a rectangle with the same base and height. This is because the trapezoid has two different lengths for its parallel sides, while a rectangle has two equal lengths for its sides.

5. What is the importance of maximizing the area of an isosceles trapezoid?

Maximizing the area of an isosceles trapezoid is important in many real-world applications, such as construction or engineering, where maximizing the use of materials can save time and money. It also helps in optimizing the stability and strength of structures.