Maximize Forum Efficiency with Sticky FAQ Threads

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, it has been suggested to have a sticky thread with FAQs about the forum in question in order to reduce the number of repeated threads. This would make it more difficult for people to push their own agendas and provide a reliable description of current ideas and research. There is a concern for frequently repeated topics, such as in the math subforums. It has been suggested to include a definition of science and explanation of theories in the FAQ. This suggestion was made years ago and the implementation of this idea may warrant a medal.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
wouldnt it be nice if every forum had a sticky thread with faq about the forum in question?
it will diminish the number of repeated threads (unless greg wants a lot of threads in which case the many more the better, ah? :wink: ).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggested this a while ago. The idea was to make it more difficult for people to carry out agendas not in the best interests of the site by providing a brief but reliable description of the current status of various major ideas and programs of research.

Is there a concern for frequently repeated topics?

At the moment, each mentor is free to set up such a FAQ sticky. I'll consider it for the A&C forum.

thanks

you can see for example in maths subforums in here a repeatition of threads such as 0.999999=1, zeno paradoxes, divison by zero and more.
i too have (perhaps, i can't recall) posted repeated threads but perhaps it will decrease if faq sticky thread will be in the forum who knows.

I suggested this years ago. So I should get a medal if it is implemented.

I would also suggest one same topic to be included in every FAQ. That would be a definition of science, with an explanation of what constitutes a theory. After all, how many threads do you see start with: [insert model here] is only a theory, not fact. Blah blah blah...?

Related to Maximize Forum Efficiency with Sticky FAQ Threads

1. What is the purpose of having sticky FAQ threads in a forum?

The purpose of having sticky FAQ threads in a forum is to provide a centralized location for commonly asked questions and their corresponding answers. This helps to reduce repeat questions and increase efficiency in finding information for forum users.

2. How do sticky FAQ threads maximize forum efficiency?

Sticky FAQ threads maximize forum efficiency by providing a quick and easy way for users to find answers to their questions without having to search through multiple threads or posts. This saves time and allows for a smoother forum experience.

3. Can anyone create a sticky FAQ thread in a forum?

In most cases, only moderators or administrators have the ability to create sticky FAQ threads in a forum. This ensures that the information provided is accurate and relevant to the forum's purpose.

4. How should sticky FAQ threads be organized in a forum?

Sticky FAQ threads should be organized in a clear and logical manner, with the most commonly asked questions and important information at the top. This makes it easier for users to quickly find the information they need.

5. Can sticky FAQ threads be updated or edited?

Yes, sticky FAQ threads can be updated or edited by moderators or administrators as needed. This ensures that the information remains relevant and up-to-date for forum users.