Maximize area of rectangle inside a circle

In summary: Check it out if you're stuck.In summary, the maximum possible area for a rectangle inscribed in a circle is 2r^2 where r is the radius of the circle.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum possible area for a rectangle inscribed in a circle is 2r^2 where r is the radius of the circle.

Homework Equations

Pre-calc

! NO TRIG !
Doesn't matter if it's easier, it's supposed to be solved with algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

hlp_0001.jpg

I have no clue what to do next or if those steps were even correct.

Hmm I just noticed that it's not correct. Whatever, I'm still stuck. Idk how to approach this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I keep getting to a point where I can't solve it using just algebra and need to use calclus; still trying to figure out what else could be done...

Anyway, consider a sketch of the problem like this (but use r instead of 1) and see what you can do:

rectangle.2.gif

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum possible area for a rectangle inscribed in a circle is 2r^2 where r is the radius of the circle.

Homework Equations

Pre-calc

! NO TRIG !
Doesn't matter if it's easier, it's supposed to be solved with algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

hlp_0001.jpg

I have no clue what to do next or if those steps were even correct.

Hmm I just noticed that it's not correct. Whatever, I'm still stuck. Idk how to approach this problem.

Observe that any rectangle inscribed within a circle will have its centroid coincident with the centre of the circle. The centroid of the rectangle is the point at which its diagonals intersect. The length of a single diagonal is therefore equal to 2r.

Now let one side of the rectangle be x. Find the adjacent side using Pythagoras' theorem.

Set up an expression for the area A. You'll find there's a square root sign in it. Get rid of the square root sign by squaring both sides. You know have a relation between A2 and x2. Let z = x2. Plot A2 vs z - it's a simple parabola, and the horizontal (z) intercepts are easy to determine. Use symmetry to determine the z-value where the A2 becomes a maximum. Observe that because of the monotonic nature of the square function for positive real numbers, the maximum of A2 corresponds to the maximum of A. Hence find the maximum A value.

What "special" type of rectangle do you end up with?

I don't get it. I still have two unknown values in my equation, namely r and x.

(2r)^2=x^2 + y^2 ? correct?

That would make y= sqrt(4r^2 - x^2)

A = (x)sqrt(4r^2 - x^2)

I'm missing something here.

Feodalherren said:
I don't get it. I still have two unknown values in my equation, namely r and x.

(2r)^2=x^2 + y^2 ? correct?

That would make y= sqrt(4r^2 - x^2)

A = (x)sqrt(4r^2 - x^2)

I'm missing something here.

So far so good.

You can take r as a fixed quantity, since you're determining the rectangle with maximal area for a given circle.

Now work out A2 as I advised, and put x2 = z.

This is probably an overkill method of doing this.

Feodalherren said:
Draw a circle in the Cartesian plane with center (0, 0). Inscribe a rectangle. We'll call the upper-right hand vertex of the rectangle (x, y). It should be straightforward that no matter what rectangle we choose with the corner at (x, y), the perimeter will be the same, namely P = 4x + 4y.

The area formula for this rectangle is, of course, A = 4xy.

Take the perimeter formula and solve for y. You'll have two variables on the other side, but treat P as a constant. Plug this expression into the area formula and you'll have a formula expressed in terms of x only (and the constant P). You will see that this is a quadratic.

The maximum/minimum value of a parabola is the y-coordinate of the vertex. In our case, the parabola will have a maximum value. (Do you see why?) Rewrite the area formula in vertex form. The x-coordinate of the vertex will be an expression in terms of P. The "y-coordinate" of this vertex is the maximum area. Take the original formula for the area, A = 4xy, and plug in the x-coordinate for x, and the "y-coordinate" for A. Solve for y, and you'll see right away the relationship between x and y.

See if you can get this far.

EDIT: You might as well stick with Curious3141's method. It's a little easier.

EDIT2: 1000th post.

Related to Maximize area of rectangle inside a circle

What is the formula for finding the maximum area of a rectangle inside a circle?

The formula for finding the maximum area of a rectangle inside a circle is A = 2r^2, where A is the area of the rectangle and r is the radius of the circle.

What is the relationship between the dimensions of the rectangle and the circle in this problem?

In order to maximize the area of a rectangle inside a circle, the rectangle must be inscribed within the circle, meaning that the four corners of the rectangle must touch the circumference of the circle. This creates a relationship between the dimensions of the rectangle and the radius of the circle, as the length and width of the rectangle must be equal to the diameter of the circle.

How does the location of the rectangle within the circle affect the maximum area?

The location of the rectangle within the circle does not affect the maximum area, as long as the rectangle is inscribed within the circle. This means that the four corners of the rectangle must touch the circumference of the circle, regardless of where they are located along the circumference.

What is the significance of maximizing the area of a rectangle inside a circle?

Maximizing the area of a rectangle inside a circle is important in various mathematical and real-world applications. It can help determine the most efficient use of space, such as fitting the largest possible rectangle inside a given circular area. This concept is also used in optimization problems in calculus and in the design of objects such as circular tables or windows.

Are there any limitations or constraints when trying to maximize the area of a rectangle inside a circle?

Yes, there are limitations and constraints when trying to maximize the area of a rectangle inside a circle. The rectangle must be inscribed within the circle, and the dimensions of the rectangle must be equal to the diameter of the circle. Additionally, there may be real-world limitations such as the size or shape of the circle, which could affect the maximum area that can be achieved.