Max Vol Rect Solid Cut from Sphere: Find Dim & Vol

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the dimensions and volume of a rectangular solid that can be cut from a solid sphere of radius r. The constraint for this task is that all corners of the solid must be on the surface of the sphere. The equation for a sphere of radius r is needed to determine the coordinates of the touching points. It is suggested to use simpler coordinates for the points on the sphere to simplify the equations.
paulojomaje
A rectangular solid of maximum volume is to be cut from a solid sphere of radius r. Determine the dimension of the solid so formed and its volume?
I have defined my function F(l,b,h) as lbh, but i don't know how to define my constraint condition from my question

Physics news on Phys.org
paulojomaje said:
A rectangular solid of maximum volume is to be cut from a solid sphere of radius r. Determine the dimension of the solid so formed and its volume?
I have defined my function F(l,b,h) as lbh, but i don't know how to define my constraint condition from my question

The constraint - I don't know what stops you seeing this - is that all the corners have to be at the surface of the sphere. Do you know what the equation for a sphere of radius r is (meaning the relation between r and co-ordinates x, y, z holding at all points on the surface)?

Then before you start, think how many independent co-ordinates of the touching points are you going to need? There are 8 points where your solid will touch the sphere surface but you sure need to specify a lot less than that if it is going to be a 'rectangular solid'.

A tip: make equations as simple as possible by choosing simple co-ordinates for points. All points on the sphere are equal as starting points. So you can make your first point (r, 0, 0) for instance.

So now tell us about other points.

Last edited:

Related to Max Vol Rect Solid Cut from Sphere: Find Dim & Vol

1. How do you calculate the dimensions of a maximum volume rectangular solid cut from a sphere?

To find the dimensions of a maximum volume rectangular solid cut from a sphere, you can use the following formula: V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume of the sphere and r is the radius. Then, you can use the dimensions of the sphere to calculate the dimensions of the rectangular solid.

2. What is the maximum volume of a rectangular solid cut from a sphere?

The maximum volume of a rectangular solid cut from a sphere is equal to one-third of the volume of the sphere. This is because the maximum volume rectangular solid is created by cutting a hemisphere from the sphere, which has a volume of one-third of the sphere's volume.

3. How does the shape of the rectangular solid affect its volume?

The shape of the rectangular solid does not affect its volume, as long as the same dimensions are used. Whether the solid is a cube, a cuboid, or any other rectangular shape, the volume will remain the same as long as the dimensions are constant.

4. Can the dimensions of the maximum volume rectangular solid be negative?

No, the dimensions of the maximum volume rectangular solid cannot be negative. The dimensions must be positive numbers in order to have a valid shape and volume.

5. Can this formula be applied to any shape cut from a sphere?

No, this formula can only be applied to a rectangular solid cut from a sphere. Other shapes, such as cylinders or cones, have different formulas for finding their maximum volumes when cut from a sphere.