Max Speed of Car: 80m Track & .40 Coeff of Friction

In summary, the maximum safe speed for a car traveling on a circular track with a radius of 80.0 m and a coefficient of friction of .40 is determined by equating the force of friction to the centripetal force (Mv^2/r) and solving for velocity. The normal force can be represented by M multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. The equation used is F = ma, where F is the centripetal force, M is the mass of the car, and a is the centripetal acceleration. This is the same as the equation for Newton's Second Law for circular motion.
RoyG

Homework Statement

"what is the maximum speed at which a car can safely travel if the radius of the track is 80.0 m and the coefficient of friction is .40"
friction is providing the force and the track is flat and circular.

Homework Equations

the equations that we've been using in class are:
Fnet=ma
a= V^2/r
w=mg
force of friction= (coefficient of friction)(normal force)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the Newton's Second Law for centripetal force (Fnet=ma) and know that the Fnet would be the coefficient times the normal force. I set up the acceleration equation (a=V^2/r). But I'm confused about finding the normal force without a mass. I know that velocity is distance divided by time and that the distance would be 2∏r, but I don't know how you would find it that way without time. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
just set mass to m for now and go through with and see what happens.

Likes 1 person
Let normal force be N and mass be M .How are they related ?

Likes 1 person
okay so I did (.40)(m)(9.8)=m(V^2/80)
which comes to be 3.92m=m(V^2/80)

and then I tried substituting V^2 with 160pi/time because of 2(pi)(r)
how do I work with the two variables?

normal force is the mass times gravity?

RoyG said:
normal force is the mass times gravity?

Symbolically ,N=Mg

Now what is the equation of centripetal force ? Please do not plug in the values .Work in terms of symbols .

Likes 1 person
You have an m on each side... sooo...

F stands for centripetal force, M stands for mass, and a stands for centripetal acceleration. This is the formula we used in class:
F=ma
Is this the equation of centripetal force or just Newton's 2nd Law for Circular Motion?

RoyG said:
F stands for centripetal force, M stands for mass, and a stands for centripetal acceleration. This is the formula we used in class:
F=ma
Is this the equation of centripetal force or just Newton's 2nd Law for Circular Motion?

Centripetal acceleration = v2/R .It is the same thing as 'a' in ƩF = Ma .There is nothing called Newton's Law for circular motion.

Which force provides the car centripetal acceleration (i.e acceleration towards the center) ? Equate this force to Mv2/R just like you do in ƩF = Ma .

Last edited:

Related to Max Speed of Car: 80m Track & .40 Coeff of Friction

1. What does "Max Speed of Car: 80m Track & .40 Coeff of Friction" mean?

This phrase refers to the maximum speed that a car can reach on an 80-meter track with a coefficient of friction of .40. In other words, it is the highest speed that the car can maintain while staying on the track and overcoming the resistance caused by friction.

2. How is the maximum speed of a car on a track calculated?

The maximum speed of a car on a track is calculated by taking into account the length of the track, the coefficient of friction, and the car's ability to overcome friction. In this case, the maximum speed is 80 meters per second, with a coefficient of friction of .40.

3. What factors affect the maximum speed of a car on a track?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum speed of a car on a track. These include the length and shape of the track, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the surface and condition of the track, and the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the track surface.

4. Can the maximum speed of a car on a track be increased?

Yes, the maximum speed of a car on a track can be increased by making changes to any of the factors that affect it. For example, improving the aerodynamics of the car, using a track with less friction, or reducing the weight of the car can all lead to an increase in its maximum speed.

5. Why is the coefficient of friction important in determining the maximum speed of a car on a track?

The coefficient of friction is important because it represents the amount of resistance that the car's tires will experience when in contact with the track surface. A lower coefficient of friction means less resistance, allowing the car to reach a higher maximum speed. On the other hand, a higher coefficient of friction means more resistance, which can limit the car's maximum speed and potentially cause it to lose control on the track.