Max Mass on Helium Balloon: 4.40 x 10^-3 kg

• Thread starter Kleptoma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium
In summary, the maximum mass that can be tied to the balloon without it sinking to the floor is approximately 4.40 * 10^-3 kg. This is calculated by subtracting the weight of the balloon from the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of the displaced air. The buoyant force is found by using the density of air and the volume of the balloon, while the weight of the balloon is calculated by using the density of helium gas, volume, and gravity. Another possible solution is to use the tension (T) of the string, which is equal to the buoyant force minus the weight of the object. This method results in a maximum mass of approximately 4.05 * 10^-3
Kleptoma

Homework Statement

A 1.10 g balloon is filled with helium gas until it becomes a 20.0 cm-diameter sphere.
What maximum mass can be tied to the balloon (with a massless string) without the balloon sinking to the floor?
Density of Air: 1.28 kg/m^3
Density of Helium gas : 0.18 kg/m^3
Volume of a sphere: V = 4/3*pi*r^3
g = 9.80 m/s^2

Homework Equations

Buoyant Force (Fb) = p (density) * V * g
Density = mass/volume
Fb = Wo = p (density of object) * V (Volume of object) * g

The Attempt at a Solution

Fb = Weight of the object + Mg (M is the mass to be solved)
(1.23)(4/3*pi*(0.1m)^3)(9.8) = (0.18)(4/3*pi*(0.1m)^3)(9.8) + M(9.8)
M = 4.40 * 10^-3kg

I am uncertain of whether the buoyant force is the force of air pushing upwards on the balloon, or whether it is the helium gas in the balloon. Nonetheless, I used air as the density to solve for the buoyant force.

Another possibility would be that:
T = Fb - mg
T = (1.23)(4/3*pi*(0.1m)^3)(9.8) - (0.0011kg)(9.8)
T = 0.0397 N
Therefore mass of the object = 0.0397N / 9.8 = 4.05 * 10^-3

I am doubtful of which solution is correct and if either solution is actually correct.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight that the balloon can hold will be the buoyant force, minus the weight of the balloon. The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced air.

Thanks Kurdt. I know that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced air, which is represented by (1.23)(4/3*pi*(0.1m)^3)(9.8).
But I'm not sure how to calculate the weight of the balloon. Do I use the density of the helium gas and multiply it by Volume and gravity (Weight = D*V*g) or simply use Weight = mg

You'll need to use the density multiplied by the volume, and of course add it to the weight of the balloon.

Related to Max Mass on Helium Balloon: 4.40 x 10^-3 kg

What is the maximum mass that a helium balloon can hold?

The maximum mass that a helium balloon can hold depends on the size and strength of the balloon. However, in this case, the maximum mass is 4.40 x 10^-3 kg.

How does the mass of the helium balloon affect its ability to float?

The mass of the helium balloon plays a crucial role in its ability to float. The balloon must be lighter than the air it displaces in order to float. Therefore, the maximum mass of the balloon must be carefully calculated to ensure it can stay afloat.

What is the significance of the mass being measured in kilograms?

Kilograms are a unit of measurement commonly used to measure mass. In this case, it is used to measure the maximum mass that a helium balloon can hold. This unit allows for precise calculations and comparisons.

How does the density of helium affect the maximum mass of the balloon?

The density of helium is much lower than the density of air, which allows the balloon to float. The lower the density, the more mass the balloon can hold while still remaining lighter than the air it displaces.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling a helium balloon with a maximum mass of 4.40 x 10^-3 kg?

When handling a helium balloon, it is important to be cautious and take necessary safety precautions. The balloon should not be released near power lines or in areas with strong winds. It is also important to avoid inhaling helium gas, as it can be harmful to your health.