Max. magnetic force on an electron

In summary, the question asks for the maximum magnetic force experienced by electrons accelerated through a 17 kV potential difference and passing through a 0.30 T magnetic field. Using the equation for force in a magnetic field, it is necessary to find the velocity of the electrons, which can be determined from their kinetic energy after passing through the electric field. The orientation of the electron beam and magnetic field can then be used to find the maximum deflection force.
Dart82

Homework Statement

In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 17 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.30 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

Homework Equations

Force = qvBsin(theta)

B = Force/(charge x velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i am given electrons, i know their mass (m) and charge (q). I am also told that the electron starts from rest (0 m/s) and passes through a potential difference of 17,000 Volts. Then, the electrons pass through a .30 Tesla magnetic field. I don't think i can use equation 1 because i don't know v or sin(theta) and i don't think i can use equation 2 because i don't know the velocity. I would imagine that i need to find a way to tie the potential difference into one of the above equations so i looked at a formula sheet. i just don't see anything that could tie the 2 concepts together. what am i overlooking on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
After the electrons are accelerated through the 17kV potential of the electric field, they have a kinetic energy of 17keV. Look up the conversion from keV to Joules, and use that to find their velocity. Then all you need to do is think about how the electron beam and the deflecting magnetic field are oriented in the neck of the CRT, and that will give you your theta value for the maximum deflection force...

that definitely makes sense. thank you.

Related to Max. magnetic force on an electron

1. What is the maximum magnetic force that can act on an electron?

The maximum magnetic force on an electron is determined by its charge and its velocity. This force is given by the equation F = evB, where e is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is the maximum magnetic force on an electron related to its velocity?

The maximum magnetic force on an electron is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the electron increases, so does the maximum magnetic force.

3. Is there a limit to the maximum magnetic force that can act on an electron?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum magnetic force on an electron. This limit is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the electron. If the magnetic field is too weak or the velocity is too high, the force will reach its maximum value and will not increase any further.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the maximum magnetic force on an electron?

The direction of the magnetic field does not affect the maximum magnetic force on an electron. The force will always be perpendicular to both the velocity of the electron and the magnetic field, regardless of their directions.

5. Is the maximum magnetic force on an electron always the same?

No, the maximum magnetic force on an electron can vary depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the electron. It is also possible for the force to be zero if either the magnetic field or the velocity is zero.