Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV

In summary, the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience in a television set is dependent on its velocity, which is determined by the potential difference it is accelerated through. Using the Work-Energy Theorem, the velocity can be solved for by equating the kinetic energy to the gained energy from the potential difference.
spoonthrower
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 19 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.29 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

Here are my thoughts so far... this is all i know...
B=F/(qv)
B=.29
19kV=19000 V
I need to find the velocity of the electron to solve for F, the only problem is...
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO RELATE POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE TO VELOCITY! please help. THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons gain energy when the are accelerated. Once they escape the influence which was accelarates them, the energy is purely kinetic.

i don't understand still...do i have to use the kinetic energy theorom? and if i do what do i plug into it? thanks

We know that the maximum magnetic force occurs when velocity is maximum.

The electron is being accelerated through a potential difference. By the Work-Energy Theorem

[tex] 1/2 mv^2 = qV [/tex]
When all the energy the electron gains from the potential difference goes to kinetic energy, its velocity is maximized.

Solve for velocity. Does that help?

Related to Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV

1. What is the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV"?

The "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" refers to the maximum amount of force that electrons will experience when they are accelerated to 19 kV (19,000 volts) in an electromagnetic field.

2. How is the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" calculated?

The "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Why is 19 kV significant in determining the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV"?

The voltage of 19 kV is significant because it is the amount of energy needed to accelerate electrons to a high enough velocity that the magnetic force will be at its maximum. Any lower voltage will result in a lower maximum magnetic force.

4. How does the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" affect electron movement?

The "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" plays a crucial role in the movement of electrons. It determines the maximum amount of force that will act upon the electrons, causing them to accelerate or change direction in the presence of a magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV"?

Understanding the "Max Magnetic Force Experienced by Electrons Accelerated at 19 kV" is essential in various scientific fields, such as particle accelerators, medical imaging, and magnetic levitation technology. It also helps in the development of new technologies and devices that utilize electromagnetic fields.