Max Energy of UV Light Photon in Compton Collision

In summary, the maximum energy of a UV light photon in a Compton collision is determined by the energy of the incoming photon and the scattering angle. It can be calculated using a specific formula and increases as the energy of the incoming photon increases. However, it can never be greater than the energy of the incoming photon due to the conservation of energy and momentum. The scattering angle also plays a role, with a larger angle resulting in a lower maximum energy for the scattered photon. Overall, the maximum energy is not a fixed value and depends on the specific parameters of the collision.
physicsss
What is the maximum energy a photon of UV light ( lamda= 320 nm) can transfer to an electron in a Compton collision?

I used the Compton eq. and set cos= -1 and found the change in lamda to be 0.00486 nm. then using p=h/lamda where p is the momentum, i found the momentum for when lamda is 320 nm and 0.00486 nm. then I added the two momentums. How do I the energy from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
E=hc/\lambda.
dE=-hc d\lambda/\lambda^2.

For light E = h[itex]\nu[/itex] = pc, where E is energy and p is momentum.

Related to Max Energy of UV Light Photon in Compton Collision

1. What is the maximum energy of a UV light photon in a Compton collision?

The maximum energy of a UV light photon in a Compton collision depends on the energy of the incoming photon and the scattering angle. It can be calculated using the formula Emax = Ein / (1 + (Ein/mec2)(1-cosθ)), where Ein is the energy of the incoming photon, me is the mass of an electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

2. How does the energy of the incoming photon affect the maximum energy of the scattered photon?

The energy of the incoming photon directly affects the maximum energy of the scattered photon. As the energy of the incoming photon increases, the maximum energy of the scattered photon also increases. This is because higher energy photons have more momentum and can transfer more energy to the electron during the collision.

3. Can the maximum energy of a UV light photon in a Compton collision be greater than the energy of the incoming photon?

No, the maximum energy of the scattered photon can never be greater than the energy of the incoming photon. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum in a Compton collision. The maximum energy of the scattered photon is reached when the incoming photon transfers all of its energy to the electron, but it cannot transfer more energy than it originally had.

4. How does the scattering angle affect the maximum energy of the scattered photon?

The scattering angle has a significant effect on the maximum energy of the scattered photon. As the scattering angle increases, the maximum energy of the scattered photon decreases. This is because a larger scattering angle means the photon has less chance of transferring all of its energy to the electron during the collision.

5. Is the maximum energy of a UV light photon in a Compton collision a fixed value?

No, the maximum energy of a scattered photon in a Compton collision is not a fixed value. It depends on the energy of the incoming photon and the scattering angle. As these parameters change, the maximum energy of the scattered photon will also change accordingly.