Max and min frequencies of a capacitor

In summary, a variable capacitor with a range from 10 to 365 p is used with a coil to form a variable frequency LC circuit to tune the input to a radio. The ratio of maximum and minimum frequencies can be obtained using the equation \omega=\frac 1{\sqrt(LC)}. If the desired frequency range is too large, a capacitor can be added in parallel with the existing capacitor, using the equation C_{eq} = C_{old}+C_{new}. To find C_{eq}, use the earlier inductance and the frequencies the circuit is supposed to be able to deal with, solving for C_{eq} and C_{new}.
laminatedevildoll
A variable capacitor with a range from 10 to 365 p is used with a coil to form a variable frequency LC circuit t0 tune the input to a radio.

a. What ratio of max and min frequencies may be obtained with such capcitor.

I used that [tex]\omega=\frac 1{\sqrt(LC)}[/tex] to get the ratio of max to min frequencies.

b. If this circuit is to obtain frequencies from 0.54 MHz to 1.60 mHz, the rato computed is too large. By adding a capacitor in parallel, this range may be adjused. What should the capacitance of this added be?

I said that [tex]C_{eq} = C_{old}+C_{new}[/tex]

I have to compute what [tex] C_{new} [/tex]. From part 1, I know my [tex]C_{old} [/tex]. But, how do I find [tex]C_{eq}[/tex] first? I am thinking that I have to compute that using the frequencies, but how do I get L?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not doing anything to the coil, are you? Why would L change from what it was before adding the second capacitor?

I thought that the L canceled out when I was doing the ratio before. So, would I use L from part A? Do I solve for L?

Use the earlier inductance and the frequencies the circuit is supposed to be able to deal with. Solve for C_eq and solve for C_new.

You are given [itex]\omega_1, ~\omega _2 [/itex]. You know [itex]C_{old}[/itex]. The unknowns are [itex]L,~C_{eq},~C_{new}[/itex].

You have three equations in 3 unknowns...

Related to Max and min frequencies of a capacitor

1. What is the significance of the max and min frequencies of a capacitor?

The max and min frequencies of a capacitor determine the range of frequencies that the capacitor can effectively store and release energy. This is important in applications where the capacitor is used for filtering or tuning signals.

2. How are the max and min frequencies of a capacitor calculated?

The max and min frequencies of a capacitor are calculated using the capacitance value and the equivalent series resistance (ESR) of the capacitor. The formulas for calculating these frequencies can vary depending on the type of capacitor and its construction.

3. Can the max and min frequencies of a capacitor be adjusted?

Yes, the max and min frequencies of a capacitor can be adjusted by changing the capacitance value or the ESR. This can be done by using different materials or altering the physical dimensions of the capacitor.

4. How do the max and min frequencies of a capacitor affect its performance?

The max and min frequencies of a capacitor determine its bandwidth, which can affect its performance in applications such as filtering, tuning, and energy storage. A wider bandwidth means the capacitor can operate over a larger frequency range, while a narrower bandwidth means it is more specialized for specific frequencies.

5. What happens if a capacitor is operated outside of its max and min frequencies?

If a capacitor is operated outside of its max and min frequencies, it may not function as intended. It could experience higher losses, lower capacitance, or even fail completely. It is important to use capacitors within their specified frequency range to ensure proper performance and longevity.