Matrix representation of T with Basis B?

In summary, the problem posted on MHF on December 8th, 2012 by user bonfire09 is about finding the matrix representation of a linear map T with respect to the basis B={1,t,t^2}. The confusion arises in finding the coordinates of T(1), T(t), and T(t^2) in terms of the basis elements. However, according to a well-known theorem, this can be done by simply writing the coordinates of these elements as columns in the matrix representation. The final matrix representation for T is shown above.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote un unsolved question posted in MHF on December 8th, 2012 by user bonfire09.

Problem is assuming the mapping T: P2---->P2 defined by T(a0+a1t+a2t2)=3a0+(5a0-2a1)t+(4a1+a2)t^2 is linear. Find the matrix representation of T relative to Basis B={1,t,t^2}.
The part that I am confused on is when I go plug in the basis values T(1),T(t),and T(t^2)? I don't know how to do it?

From my understanding T(a0+a1t+a2t2) can be written as a0T(1)+a1T(t)+a2T(t^2)
So to find T(1) its just a0T(1)+0T(t)+0T(t^2)=3a0+5a0t? Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Really this is not a problem relative to change of basis. Take into account that according to a well-known theorem, to find the matrix of a linear map [tex]f:V\to W [/tex] with respect to basis [tex]B_V,B_W[/tex] of [tex]V,W[/tex] respectively, you only need to find the coordinates of the image of the elements of [tex]B_V[/tex] with respect to [tex]B_W[/tex] and then, to write these as columns.

In our case [tex]T[/tex] is an endomorphism and only one basis is mentioned, so [tex]B_V=B_W=B[/tex]. We have:
$$T(1)=3+5t\\T(t)=-2t+4t^2\\T(t^2)=t^2$$
Hence, the corresponding matrix representation is:
$$[T]_B^B=\begin{bmatrix}{3}&{\;\;0}&{0}\\{5}&{-2}&{0}\\{0}&{\;\;4}&{1}\end{bmatrix}$$

Related to Matrix representation of T with Basis B?

1. What is a change of basis?

A change of basis is a mathematical operation that involves converting a vector or set of vectors from one coordinate system to another. It allows us to express the same vector in different ways, making it easier to work with in certain situations.

2. How do I perform a change of basis?

To perform a change of basis, we first need to have two different sets of basis vectors. We then use a transformation matrix to convert the original vector(s) from one basis to the other. This transformation matrix can be calculated using linear algebra techniques such as matrix multiplication and inversion.

3. Why is change of basis important?

Change of basis is important because it allows us to solve problems and analyze data in different ways. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where different coordinate systems are often used to describe the same phenomenon.

4. Can change of basis be applied to any vector or set of vectors?

Yes, change of basis can be applied to any vector or set of vectors as long as we have two different sets of basis vectors. It is a versatile tool that can be used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using change of basis?

One limitation of change of basis is that it can be computationally expensive for large datasets or high-dimensional spaces. Additionally, it may not always be intuitive to choose the most appropriate basis for a given problem. However, with proper understanding and application, these limitations can be overcome.