Matrix Multiplication or Inverse Problem

In summary: Here is the solution:\begin{pmatrix}A & 1\\B & 0\\\end{pmatrix}When you solve for A and B, you need to convert the column values to row values and then use the equation.
Hypatio

Homework Statement

I am more trying to figure out how to solve generally rather than solve this specific problem. Nevertheless this problem could be given as: Solve the matrix for A and B.

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 2 \\
2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
A \\
B
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{pmatrix}
42 \\
0 \\
0 \\
8 \\
50 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

apparently this matrix is of the form (CTC)X=CTB

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how to solve it! In this problem, what would A=? and B=? look like? Do I have to send the first matrix to the right-hand side?

This is just a basic example. I will later want to solve the same kind of problem where the first matrix has more columns and the second matrix has more rows.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what matrix multiplication is? What you have is equivalent to the 5 equations, A+ B= 42, 0= 0, 2B= 0, 2A= 8 and 0= 50. A and B have to be number for "A+ B= 42", "2B= 0", and "2A= 8" to make sense. But no matter what A and B are, "0= 50" is impossible. There is NO solution to this problem.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you understand what matrix multiplication is? What you have is equivalent to the 5 equations, A+ B= 42, 0= 0, 2B= 0, 2A= 8 and 0= 50. A and B have to be number for "A+ B= 42", "2B= 0", and "2A= 8" to make sense. But no matter what A and B are, "0= 50" is impossible. There is NO solution to this problem.

I mistyped the Eq. Should be

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 2 \\
2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
A \\
B
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{pmatrix}
42 \\
0 \\
8 \\
50 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So your answer is that you do not know how to multiply matrices?

HallsofIvy said:
So your answer is that you do not know how to multiply matrices?
Well, I did come to the "homework section". Maybe I should just stop trying to learn new things.

Okay, I tried to help- my point was that this problem is trivial once you multiply the matrices on the left. Can you do that?

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, I tried to help- my point was that this problem is trivial once you multiply the matrices on the left. Can you do that?

I figured it out. I kept getting nonsense so I thought I didn't know what I was doing. Turns out the values needed to be converted.

Related to Matrix Multiplication or Inverse Problem

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation where two matrices are multiplied together to produce a new matrix. It is different from regular multiplication because it follows a specific set of rules and the dimensions of the matrices must match.

2. How is matrix multiplication used in science?

Matrix multiplication is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations in computer graphics, and analyze data in statistics and machine learning.

3. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, gives the identity matrix as the result. It is denoted by adding a superscript -1 to the original matrix and can be used to solve systems of linear equations and perform division operations with matrices.

4. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using a specific formula or by using software or calculators. The formula involves finding the determinant of the matrix and performing a series of operations on the original matrix. Alternatively, software and calculators have functions that can directly calculate the inverse of a matrix.

5. What is the significance of matrix multiplication and inverse in scientific research?

Matrix multiplication and inverse are essential tools in scientific research as they allow for the representation and manipulation of complex systems and data. They are used in various scientific fields to model and solve real-world problems, making them fundamental in advancing scientific knowledge and understanding.