Matrix help (plane equation + product of elementary matrices)

In summary: So I don't need to do anything with the first row. Now I would do the same thing to the second row, getting\left(\begin{array}{cc}3 & 4 \\ 4 & 2\end{array}\right)
theneedtoknow
This isn't really a particular question...i just missed the classes relating to these 2 topics so I have no idea how to do questions with them...so can someone please explain how i go about solving questions such as:

1. I'm given 3 points in R3, and I'm supposed to find the equation of the plane that passses through them. How do I go about doing this?

2. I am given a matrix and I'm supposed to express it as a product of elementary matrices. I asked abotu this here before, but I think i didn't understand it properly because I had a question like this on my midterm and I definitely got it wrong. I know I am supposed to reduce it to reduced row echelon form and keep track of the steps i take in the process. But then, what do i do with those steps? I know its not as simple as applying the same steps to a set of identity matrices of the same size...there's some kind of other trick to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only help with the first one.
But if you have three points A,B and C.
then AB, AC and BC form a vector triangle on this plane correct?
So, you will need the normal vector, which is perpendicular to AB,AC and BC, so what product would you use to find a perpendicular common to AB and AC?

When you have that, use the formula (r-r0).N=0 where r0 is a point on the plane

So does that mean i have to find a vector such that the dot prdut of it with the 3 points I am given is 0
so if i have point 1 = (a,b,c), point 2 = (d, e, f) and point 3 = (g h, i)
i need a vector (x, y, z) such that

ax + by + cz = 0
dx + ey + fz = 0
gx + hy + iz = 0
so i solve the linear systemand find the vector [z, y, z]

but what do i do with it after?

theneedtoknow said:
So does that mean i have to find a vector such that the dot prdut of it with the 3 points I am given is 0

Well you need to find the perpendicular vector. Do you know what the cross product of two vectors is?

Ahh my bad then,

yeah i know how to calculate the crossproduct :)
so what are r and N? which one is the crossproduct and whas the other one?

N would be the cross product of the vectors AB and BC. r is the equation of the plane (x,y,z).

So for example if you find the cross product to be (1,1,1) and a point on the plane is (1,2,3)

The equation of the plane would be

((x-1),(y-2),(z-3)).(1,1,1)=0

Which would give

x-1+y-2+z-3=0
=> x+y+z-6=0

ohh awesome :)
that doesn't seem too bad!
thank you very much!

oh do i have to use cross product of AB and BC or is AB and Ac fine?

It doesn't matter. The cross product of any two vectors formed from the three points will be normal to the plane and that is all you need.

For your second problem.
theneedtoknow said:
2. I am given a matrix and I'm supposed to express it as a product of elementary matrices. I asked abotu this here before, but I think i didn't understand it properly because I had a question like this on my midterm and I definitely got it wrong. I know I am supposed to reduce it to reduced row echelon form and keep track of the steps i take in the process. But then, what do i do with those steps? I know its not as simple as applying the same steps to a set of identity matrices of the same size...there's some kind of other trick to it.
What you say you 'know', "I know its not as simple as applying the same steps to a set of identity matrices of the same size", is wrong- it is that simple.

An elementary matrix is a matrix formed by applying a single row operation to the identity matrix. To find express a matrix as a product elementary matrices, use row operations to reduce the matrix to the identity, at the same time applying each of the row operations to the identity matrix. Notice that you apply each row operation to the identity matrix, not just continue applying row operations to the same matrix as you might in using row operations to find the inverse of a matrix. And, of course, you have to have the correct order: the first elementary matrix you found must be on the right of the product.

For example, to row-reduce the 2 by 2 matrix
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & 4 \\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)[/tex]
I would first divide the entire first row by 2 getting
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)[/tex]
Doing the same to the identity matrix gives
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1/2 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Next subtract 3 times the first row from the second to get
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 2 \\ 0 & -2\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ -3 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Divide the second row by -2 to get
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 2 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Finally, subtract twice the second row from the first to get the identity matrix
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -2 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Putting all those together,
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & 4 \\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)[/tex]
can be written as the product
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -2 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1/2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ -3 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1/2 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Matrix help (plane equation + product of elementary matrices)

1. How do I find the equation of a plane using matrices?

The equation of a plane can be found using the formula Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is the constant term. To find these coefficients using matrices, you can use a system of equations and solve for the variables.

2. What is the product of elementary matrices?

The product of elementary matrices is another elementary matrix that can be obtained by multiplying two or more elementary matrices together. These matrices are used in matrix operations to simplify calculations and transform matrices into reduced row echelon form.

3. How can I use elementary matrices to perform row operations?

Elementary matrices are used in matrix operations by multiplying them with the original matrix. For example, to perform a row swap, you would multiply the original matrix by an elementary matrix that has rows swapped. This results in the same operation being performed on the original matrix.

4. Can I use elementary matrices to solve systems of equations?

Yes, elementary matrices can be used to solve systems of equations. By performing the same row operations on both sides of a system of equations, you can transform it into an upper triangular matrix and solve for the variables using back substitution.

5. How do I know if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is not equal to zero. This means that there exists an inverse matrix that can be multiplied with the original matrix to get the identity matrix. If the determinant is equal to zero, the matrix is not invertible and is said to be singular.