Matrix elements in the quantum oscillator

In summary, the equation for the non-zero matrix elements of the operators ##\hat{x}^3## and ##\hat{x}^4## are as follows: -Compute \langle n |\hat{x}^3|n'\rangle-From that, determine the non-zero elements -Evaluate the action of the operators on the states sequentially.
andre220

Homework Statement

For a quantum oscillator find all non-zero matrix elements of the operators ##\hat{x}^3## and ##\hat{x}^4##

Homework Equations

##\hat{x} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\left(a+a^\dagger\right)##

##a^\dagger |n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle##
##a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first it is necessary to compute ## \langle n |\hat{x}^3|n'\rangle## and then from that outcome determine the non-zero elements.

$$x^3 = \left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a + a^\dagger)^3 =\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a + a^\dagger)(a _ + a^\dagger)(a + a^\dagger) = $$

$$=\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a a a + a^\dagger a a + a a^\dagger a + a^\dagger a^\dagger a + a a a^\dagger + a^\dagger a a^\dagger + a a^\dagger a^\dagger + a^\dagger a^\dagger a^\dagger) $$

So then we compute

$$\langle n|\hat{x}^3|n' \rangle = $$
$$\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2} \langle n|(a a a + a^\dagger a a + a a^\dagger a + a^\dagger a^\dagger a + a a a^\dagger + a^\dagger a a^\dagger + a a^\dagger a^\dagger + a^\dagger a^\dagger a^\dagger)|n'\rangle$$

And then from here I am having trouble evaluating this, however, I am pretty sure that the majority of the terms above go to zero.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to evaluate the action of the operators on the states sequentially. Let's take the term [itex]a a^{\dagger} a[/itex] for example:
[tex]\left\langle n\right| a a^{\dagger} a \left|n'\right \rangle = \left\langle n\right| a a^{\dagger} \sqrt{n'} \left|n' - 1\right \rangle
= \left\langle n\right| a \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \left|n'\right \rangle
= \left\langle n\right| \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \left|n'-1\right \rangle
= \left(n'\right)^{3/2} \delta_{n,n'-1}
[/tex]

Thanks for your response. Why wouldn't the above be: $$\langle n|aa^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n|aa^\dagger \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \langle n|a\sqrt{n'+1}\sqrt{n'}|n'\rangle = \langle n|\sqrt{n'+1}n'|n'-1\rangle = n'\sqrt{n'+1}\delta_{n,n'-1}$$

Becuase you would apply the lowering operator and then the raising and then the lowering, which would give you that factor ##\sqrt{n'+1}## instead of 3 factors of ##\sqrt{n'}##. Or am I misguided in my thinking?

I seem to remember that ##a^\dagger a = N## and ##a a^\dagger = N+1## ...

Okay so just to make sure that I am going about this right here is what I have for the first four terms:
$$\langle n|a a a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a a \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \cdots = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-3}$$
$$\langle n|a^\dagger a a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a^\dagger a \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \langle n|(n')^{3/2}|n'-2\rangle = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-2}$$
$$\langle n|a a^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a n'|n'\rangle = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-1}$$
$$\langle n|a^\dagger a^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n |a^\dagger n'|n'\rangle = n'\sqrt{n'+1}\delta_{n,n'+1}$$

As I said (you can check with your post #1) ##a^\dagger a = N ##, so ##a^\dagger a \, a |n> = a^\dagger a \, \sqrt N\, |n-1> = \sqrt N a^\dagger a \, |n-1> = (N-1)\sqrt N |n-1>##, meaning I get something else for your second term...
And for the coefficient of the third ...
And for the fourth I get the same as you :-)

andre220 said:
Thanks for your response. Why wouldn't the above be: $$\langle n|aa^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n|aa^\dagger \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \langle n|a\sqrt{n'+1}\sqrt{n'}|n'\rangle = \langle n|\sqrt{n'+1}n'|n'-1\rangle = n'\sqrt{n'+1}\delta_{n,n'-1}$$
Becuase you would apply the lowering operator and then the raising and then the lowering, which would give you that factor ##\sqrt{n'+1}## instead of 3 factors of ##\sqrt{n'}##. Or am I misguided in my thinking?
Because you are applying the raising operator on the state [itex]\left|n'-1\right\rangle[/itex] instead of [itex]\left|n'\right\rangle[/itex], and so you obtain a factor [itex]\sqrt{(n'-1) +1} = \sqrt{n'}[/itex].
This also sort of explains why you got the wrong answer for the second term: you need to take note of the state that you are operating on.

Okay after about five minutes of staring at it I think it makes sense now. What you are both saying is that $$\langle n|a^\dagger a a|n'\rangle =\underbrace{ \langle n |\sqrt{n'}a^\dagger a |n'-1\rangle}_\textrm{Now we are acting on n-1 state and thus the outcome of the operator will be not just n' but n'-1}$$

It clicked now, the notation was slightly throwing me off, but also I clearly wasn't getting it. Thank you for your help.

Nice exercise. In my book (Merzbacher, QM, 1970 :-) ) there is a matrix for x that still looks decent. But for higher powers it will look a bit less nice; still it's a diagonal band matrix.

Related to Matrix elements in the quantum oscillator

1. What is a matrix element in the quantum oscillator?

A matrix element in the quantum oscillator refers to the numerical value that represents the transition between two energy states of the oscillator. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the initial and final wavefunctions.

2. How are matrix elements used in the quantum oscillator?

Matrix elements are used to calculate the probability of a transition between energy states in the quantum oscillator. They also play a crucial role in determining the selection rules for allowed transitions.

3. What is the significance of matrix elements in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, matrix elements are important because they provide a mathematical representation of the physical process of energy transitions. They also allow for the prediction of the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can matrix elements be negative in the quantum oscillator?

Yes, matrix elements in the quantum oscillator can be negative. This indicates that the transition between energy states is accompanied by a change in the direction of the oscillation.

5. How do matrix elements change with changes in the quantum oscillator system?

The value of matrix elements can change with changes in the quantum oscillator system, such as changes in the potential energy function or the oscillator frequency. These changes can affect the allowed energy levels and the probability of transitions between them.