Matrix Determinants: Find x for Invertibility

In summary: I was playing around with some examples and noticed that the determinant was being scaled by m when I scaled a row by m. So then I thought, why doesn't the same apply for factoring a scalar out of a matrix?In summary, the question is asking for which values of x is the matrix invertible. The determinant of a matrix must be non-zero for it to be invertible. The conversation then discusses the process of factoring out (1-x) from the matrix and how it relates to scalar multiplication. In the end, it is confirmed that the determinant is indeed scaled by the scalar when a row is scaled, but this does not apply when factoring a scalar out of a matrix.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

For which values of x is the matrix (see attachment) invertible?

Homework Equations

Row ops. Cofactors etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, a matrix is only invertible when it's determinant is non zero. I've begun doing some row ops and have just hit a little snag. If you look at the attachment you'll see that I can facto (1 - x) out from the minor matrix. I remember hearing in a lecture that you have to factor out (1 - x) from both the top and bottom row of the matrix (i.e. you'll have (1 -x)^2 factored out instead of just (1 - x). Could somebody explain why you don't just factor out (1 - x) one like you would with factoring a scalar out of a matrix as normal?x

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1369322765.438726.jpg

In the reduced 2x2 matrix, the factor (1-x) is common to all of the members of the matrix. You can only factor it out once. Whatever you heard about factoring the matrix was incorrect.

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)

specific topic: scalar multiplication ofa matrix

Likes 1 person
Thanks for clearing that up.

Even with a scalar, wikipedia confirms that to scale a row by m scales the determinant by m, which is clear if you think of the formula for the determinant.

Yeah. That's actually what got me thinking about it in the first place.

Related to Matrix Determinants: Find x for Invertibility

1. What is a matrix determinant?

A matrix determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used to determine various properties of the matrix, such as invertibility.

2. How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be found by performing a specific mathematical operation called the determinant operation, which involves multiplying and adding elements of the matrix according to a specific pattern. This operation can be done by hand or by using a calculator or computer program.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

A matrix is invertible if it has an inverse matrix, which can be multiplied with the original matrix to give the identity matrix. This means that the original matrix can be "undone" by its inverse, similar to how a number can be divided by its multiplicative inverse (reciprocal) to give 1.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A square matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This means that if the determinant of a matrix is equal to 0, the matrix does not have an inverse and is not invertible. In other words, if you cannot find a value for x in the equation Ax = b, the matrix A is not invertible.

5. Why is finding x important for determining invertibility?

Finding the value of x in the equation Ax = b is important because it tells us whether the matrix A has an inverse or not. If x cannot be found, it means that the system of equations represented by the matrix is inconsistent and does not have a unique solution. In terms of invertibility, this means that the matrix does not have an inverse and is not invertible.