Matrices: word problem, transition matrix

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the purpose and function of a transition matrix. The matrix, which is a 2x2 table, represents the number of readers for two different newspapers (Tribune and Picayune) and their loyalty to each. Through matrix multiplication, it is possible to predict how the readership will shift between the two newspapers. The conversation concludes with the individual gaining a better understanding of the matrix and how to perform the multiplication.
IrinaK.

Homework Statement

Hello!
Please, take a look at the problem described in the attached file.
The question is: Explain why the transition matrix does what we want it to do.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(sorry, I don't know yet how to type formulas)
I don't quite understand this transition matrix.
0.90 0.20
0.10 0.80

I assume that the first column refers to Tribune readers and second one to Picayune readers.
Then the fist row should refer to those who are loyal to T and P, respectively; and second row - to those who would like to switch.
But textbook option suggests a different view.
Please, help me to understand this matrix.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 12.51.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 12.51.22 PM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,703
Physics news on Phys.org
qspeechc said:
When you multiply QX what type of matrix do you get? How do you perform the multiplication? Say QX=Y, write out what is Y.

By the way, to type in formulae, look here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-3977517

So for Q you would do
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 0.90 & 0.20\\ 0.10 & 0.80 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
To see how you get that, just quote this post.

Thank you for reply. I don't understand how and why this matrix was formed in the first place (as I have stated in my questions); that is why given data is reflected in this particular manner.
As to multiplication, if I have understood that correctly, we can't multiply 2x2 matrix (which is Q in this case) by 1x1 matrix (X).
I would be grateful for the help.
Thank you!

X is not a 1x1 matrix, it's 2x1. X is
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
T\\
P
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
That is, the top number is T, the number of people who get the Tribune, and the bottom number Q is the number that get the Picayune.So you can multiply Q and X, because Q is 2x2.

It looks like you need to revise matrix multiplication. How would you multiply
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 4
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
with
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
5\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
If you can do that, then you can multiply Q and X, it's just that X has letters instead of numbers

Yes, thank you. I've figured this out. Thank you for the help!
Just to show that I understand it now:

(17 39)

Related to Matrices: word problem, transition matrix

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the changes in a system over time. It is a square matrix with the same number of rows and columns, and each element in the matrix represents the probability of transitioning from one state to another.

How are transition matrices used in real life?

Transition matrices are commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to model the behavior of complex systems. They can be used to analyze the progression of diseases, predict stock market trends, and study population dynamics.

What is a word problem involving matrices?

A common word problem involving matrices is the transportation problem, where a company needs to determine the most efficient way to transport goods from one location to another. This can be solved using a transportation matrix, where the rows represent the origins and the columns represent the destinations.

How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must equal the number of rows in the second matrix. The product matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. Each element in the product matrix is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements in the rows and columns of the two matrices and then adding the products together.

What is an inverse matrix and how is it calculated?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is calculated by using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, where the original matrix is augmented with the identity matrix and then reduced to the identity matrix on the left side, while the inverse matrix is formed on the right side.