Matrices: Rows and Columns Meaning

In summary, the column space of a matrix is the set of all linear combinations of its columns. To determine if a vector is in the column space, you need to check if it can be written as a linear combination of the individual columns of the matrix. This concept can also be applied to solving systems of linear equations by using row reduction on an augmented matrix.
henry3369
I'm trying to learn column space currently and I'm confused about the meaning of rows and columns.
So I'm given this definition for column space:
"The column space of matrix A is the set Col A of all linear combinations of the columns of A"

Given the matrix A:
[ 1 -3 -4 ]
[ -4 6 -2 ]
[ -3 7 6 ]

b=
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
[ -4 ]

Determine if b is in the column space of A.

My books solves by row reducing [ A b ].

Has this always been what I was solving for whenever I row reduced an augmented matrix to obtain x for Ax = b?
For example, when I'm given a system of linear equation such as:
2x1 + 3x2 = 5
1x1 + 2x2 = 3
and I have to solve for x.

Do the columns of the coefficient matrix of this system of linear equation, have the same meaning as the matrix above, vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not certain what your question is but I think the answer is:

Yes, the matrix equation corresponding to the system of equations
ax+ by+ cz= p
dx+ ey+ fz= q
gx+ hy+ iz= r

is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}p \\ q \\ r\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so that, yes, the columns are the coefficients of the three unknown numbers.

Here, to determine if < 3, 3, -4> is in the "column space" of the given matrix you have to determine if it is in the space spanned by <1, -4, -3>, <-3, 6, 7>, and < -4, 2, 6>, the columns written as individual vectors.
That is the same as asking if there exist numbers, x, y, and z, such that a< 1, -4, -3>+ b<-3, 6, 7>+ c<-4, 2, 6>= <3, 3, -4> which is, in turn, the same as asking if there exist x, y, and z such that a- 3b- 4c= 3, -4a+ 6b+ 3c= 3, and -3a+ 7b- 4c= -4, a system of equations which is the same as the matrix equation
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -3 & -4 \\ -4 & 6 & 3 \\ -3 & 7 & -4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}3 \\ 3 \\ -4 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

And, yes, you can attempt to solve that system of equation/matrix equation (the whole point is whether or not it can solved) by row reducing the "augmented matrix"
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -3 & -4 & 3 \\ -4 & 6 & 3 & 3 \\ -3 & 7 & -4 & - 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Matrices: Rows and Columns Meaning

1. What is the difference between a row and a column in a matrix?

A row is a horizontal set of numbers or variables in a matrix, while a column is a vertical set of numbers or variables in a matrix. Each row and column has a specific index or label to identify its position.

2. How do you determine the size of a matrix?

The size of a matrix is determined by the number of rows and columns it has. For example, a matrix with 3 rows and 4 columns would have a size of 3x4. This is also referred to as the dimensions of the matrix.

3. What is the meaning of the elements in a matrix?

The elements in a matrix represent the values or variables in each row and column. They can be numbers, variables, or even other matrices. The position of each element in the matrix is determined by its corresponding row and column.

4. How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions. This means they must have the same number of rows and columns. To add or subtract, simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix.

5. Can you have a matrix with a different number of rows and columns?

Yes, matrices can have different numbers of rows and columns. However, when performing operations on matrices, they must have the same dimensions to be compatible.