Matrices, eigenvalues, invertibility

In summary, if a square matrix has distinct eigenvalues, then any set of corresponding eigenvectors will form a basis for its vector space.
blue4123

Homework Statement

For which ##2x2## matrices ##A## does there exist an invertible matrix
##S## such that ##AS=SD##, where
##D=
\begin{bmatrix}
2 & 0\\
0 & 3
\end{bmatrix}
##?
Give your answers in terms of the eigenvalues of ##A##.

Homework Equations

##A\lambda=\lambda\vec{v}##

The Attempt at a Solution

S is a ##2x2## matrix. If x and y are the 1st and second columns of A, then we can write the following:
Ax=2x
Ay=3y

So we can see from these two equations that 2 and 3 must be the corresponding eigenvalues of A and their respective eigenvectors must be linearly independent.I was hoping someone could critique my solution attempt as I am not too confident that I fully answered the question or if there's a better way to express my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there, welcome to physicsforums :)
I think you meant to say that x and y are the first and second columns of S. I agree with what you're saying. But you haven't shown in what cases does S exist. The problem was to show when S exists. It will not exist for all choices of matrix A, but only a special subset.

Edit: ah, wait, sorry, the problem is to show for what kinds of matrix A, does S exist, such that D is diagonal with values 3,2. OK, I think you pretty much have the answer. You've shown that if S exists, A must have eigenvalues 3 and 2.

Last edited:
yeah. sorry for my last post, now I have read your work through again, I think you have answered correctly. The problem is to find the set of all matrices A such that S exists and such that D is diagonal with values 2,3. So to enumerate this set, it is OK to assume S exists, and then find out what this implies for the matrix A. You found that A must have eigenvalues 2,3. So then the last bit of the problem would be to say that all matrices with eigenvalues 2,3 must be able to be diagonalized. And this is what you were implying when you said that the respective eigenvectors of A must be linearly independent.

So maybe you could write a little bit more detail about why if a matrix has eigenvalues 2,3, it must then have linearly independent eigenvectors. Apart from that, I think you have done everything you need for this problem.

BruceW said:
I think you meant to say that x and y are the first and second columns of S. I agree with what you're saying. But you haven't shown in what cases does S exist. The problem was to show when S exists. It will not exist for all choices of matrix A, but only a special subset.

Edit: ah, wait, sorry, the problem is to show for what kinds of matrix A, does S exist, such that D is diagonal with values 3,2. OK, I think you pretty much have the answer. You've shown that if S exists, A must have eigenvalues 3 and 2.
BruceW said:

Oh sorry, I did mean that x and y are the first and second columns of S, and not A.

BruceW said:
yeah. sorry for my last post, now I have read your work through again, I think you have answered correctly. The problem is to find the set of all matrices A such that S exists and such that D is diagonal with values 2,3. So to enumerate this set, it is OK to assume S exists, and then find out what this implies for the matrix A. You found that A must have eigenvalues 2,3. So then the last bit of the problem would be to say that all matrices with eigenvalues 2,3 must be able to be diagonalized. And this is what you were implying when you said that the respective eigenvectors of A must be linearly independent.

So maybe you could write a little bit more detail about why if a matrix has eigenvalues 2,3, it must then have linearly independent eigenvectors. Apart from that, I think you have done everything you need for this problem.
That is the part I was a bit unsure of. I found that A must have eigenvalues 2,3. Are their corresponding eigenvectors always linearly independent?

blue4123 said:
That is the part I was a bit unsure of. I found that A must have eigenvalues 2,3. Are their corresponding eigenvectors always linearly independent?

Perhaps a theorem may help:

Suppose ##A \in M_{n \times n}(\mathbb{C})##. If ##A## has ##n## distinct eigenvalues, then any set of ##n## corresponding eigenvectors form a basis for ##\mathbb{C}^n##.

Of course a basis is any nonsingular spanning set.

Think about what this means in terms of scalars. You can create any basis you desire, and all of the vectors inside of it will correspond to the eigenvalues, regardless of being scaled.

Related to Matrices, eigenvalues, invertibility

What are matrices and their properties?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables. They have properties such as size, dimension, and operations that can be performed on them, such as addition, multiplication, and inversion.

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues are special numbers associated with a matrix that represent the scaling factor of its corresponding eigenvectors. Eigenvectors are non-zero vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by a matrix.

What is the importance of invertibility in matrices?

Invertibility is a property of matrices that determines whether a matrix can be reversed or "undone". Invertible matrices have a unique solution to their inverse, which is crucial in solving systems of linear equations and other mathematical problems.

How do you calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be calculated using the characteristic equation of a matrix, which is obtained by subtracting a variable from the main diagonal and setting the determinant equal to 0. Once the eigenvalues are found, eigenvectors can be obtained by solving a system of equations.

What are some real-world applications of matrices and eigenvalues?

Matrices and eigenvalues have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model and solve problems involving linear transformations, systems of equations, and data analysis, among others.