Matlab, plotting a directional field

In summary, the conversation is about plotting the direction field for the differential equation y' = -t(y^2 - 0.5y - 0.5) using the line() function in MATLAB. The length of each line should be 0.1 and the spacing should be 0.25 units in t and y. The speaker is a beginner and is unsure of how to use the line() and plot() functions to create a directional field. They also mention the dfield extension, but are unsure of how to use it. They are seeking guidance on the proper format for entering the equation and coordinates.
javaistheman

Homework Statement

Plot the direction field of y' = −t(y 2 − .5y − .5) for t=[0,5] and y=[-2,2]. Plot a line every 0.25 units in t and y. The length of each line should be 0.1. Hint: Use line(). Look at the picture to determine the starting and ending coordinates of each line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm a big time beginner in anything related to programming. I'm in a MATLAB class right now with no prior experience at all, and the resources given don't talk about directional fields at all.

I know the line function goes in the format line(X,Y) with X and Y being the coordinates (0, 1 as default). The problem statement says to use this but I'm not sure how to use it to define the length and spacing.

I know there's a plot function also, where you can plug in certain defined lines to make the plot. Once again, I don't know how that ties into a directional field.

I know this website doesn't like when somebody is clueless and not on the verge of figuring the problem out, but all I ask is for some guidance on what the functions are that I'll be using for this. Is there a specific directional field function to use or is it a combination of multiple line functions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

engr231_zpsok907aep.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I just discovered the Matlab extension "dfield." I added the function into matlab, ran it, added it to the current path. I still don't know the format of entry though. For example, I typed dfield8(y'=-t(y^2-0.5y-0.5)) and it obviously gave an error. Where does the equation get plugged in? And the coordinates?

Related to Matlab, plotting a directional field

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a programming language and numerical computing environment commonly used in fields such as engineering, mathematics, and science. It is known for its powerful data analysis and visualization capabilities.

2. How do I plot a directional field in Matlab?

To plot a directional field in Matlab, you will need to use the quiver function. This function takes in two arrays, one representing the x-coordinates and the other representing the y-coordinates, and plots arrows at each point indicating the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

3. What is a directional field used for?

A directional field, also known as a vector field, is used to represent the magnitude and direction of a vector at different points in a given space. It is commonly used in physical and mathematical models to visualize the behavior of vector fields.

4. Can I customize the appearance of a directional field plot in Matlab?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a directional field plot in Matlab. You can change the color, size, and style of the arrows, as well as add labels and a legend to the plot to make it more informative and visually appealing.

5. Are there any alternative methods for plotting a directional field in Matlab?

Yes, there are alternative methods for plotting a directional field in Matlab. One option is to use the streamline function, which plots the trajectories of particles in a vector field. Another option is to use the contour function, which creates contour lines to represent the vector field.