MATLAB Nyquist Plot Help: Transforming Numerator to Transfer Function"

In summary, the MATLAB Nyquist Plot is a graphical tool used to analyze the stability of a system by plotting the frequency response of its transfer function. To transform the numerator of a transfer function to a polynomial equation, the "poly" function can be used. This will allow for further analysis and manipulation of the transfer function using MATLAB.
khedira
i understand that the "nyquist" command in MATLAB requires one to key in the transfer function..

however, i am stuck here as i am unable to form a transfer function from the following numerator and denominator:

num = s-3/2-1/2*(-24*s+1)^(1/2)
den = 1.25*s^2 +3.75*s + 2.5

i know that the den can easily be form by [1.25 3.75 2.5] (assuming that numerator has degree of 2 only). however, how can i transform my num to be a tf form? please advise. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the MATLAB Controls Toolbox documentation, you can form a transfer function from numerator and denominator using the tf command:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/control/ref/tf.html

You can then run the nyquist function on the resultant transfer function:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/control/ref/nyquist.html

Last edited by a moderator:
MATLABdude said:
According to the MATLAB Controls Toolbox documentation, you can form a transfer function from numerator and denominator using the tf command:

You can then run the nyquist function on the resultant transfer function:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/control/ref/nyquist.html

Hi MATLABdude,

That is the problem. I have tried that before but it generates the following error:

"? Cell contents reference from a non-cell array object."

Do you have any resolution to the above error?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-visit the MATLAB documentation page for Transfer Function:

Numerator and denominator are in the form of polynomial coefficients, not the actual symbolic form. For instance, s^2+2s-1 would be [1, 2, -1]. I believe this is the case with most of the controls toolbox.

EDIT: How did I miss the point of your post? Shows me to answer right before going to bed... Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with radical transfer functions. All of my familiarity is with purely rational transfer functions.

Last edited:

As a scientist, my advice would be to first simplify the numerator by using the quadratic formula to solve for the roots of the expression inside the square root. This will give you two distinct values for s, which you can then use to form a transfer function in the form of (s - a)(s - b). From there, you can use the MATLAB function "tf" to create the transfer function and then plot the Nyquist plot using the "nyquist" command. It is important to note that both the numerator and denominator must be in the form of a transfer function for the "nyquist" command to work properly. I would also recommend checking the MATLAB documentation or seeking help from a MATLAB expert for further assistance with this specific problem.

Related to MATLAB Nyquist Plot Help: Transforming Numerator to Transfer Function"

What is a MATLAB Nyquist plot?

A MATLAB Nyquist plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the input and output signals in the frequency domain.

How do I create a Nyquist plot in MATLAB?

To create a Nyquist plot in MATLAB, you can use the nyquist function. This function takes in the transfer function of the system as an input and plots the corresponding Nyquist plot.

What information can I gather from a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot can provide information about the stability, gain, frequency response, and phase margin of a system. It can also help in identifying the presence of any poles or zeros in the system.

What is the significance of the Nyquist plot in control systems?

The Nyquist plot is an important tool in control systems as it helps in analyzing the stability and performance of a system. It can also be used for controller design and tuning.

How can I interpret a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot can be interpreted by looking at the shape and location of the plot. The plot should not encircle the (-1,0) point in the complex plane for the system to be stable. The gain and phase margins can also be determined from the plot.