[Matlab] FFT Gaussian x-space -> p-space scalings.

In summary: The incorrect calculation of $\phi$ can be fixed by rescaling $p\phi$ to be in units of momentum:<blockquote><p><span class="math-container">$$p\phi \rightarrow \frac{p}{m\sqrt{2}}\</span><span class="math-text">\phantom{}
apoptosa
Hi There,
Im having a little trouble with scalings required for a fft performed in Matlab. So here is the story:
I construct a position space gaussian, plot this guy out to 6 stdDev. My frontfactor is such that my probability density is normalized.
I know what the actual Fourier transform should be in momentum space, thus when I use fft in MATLAB I should get something that lies ontop of this solution.

My problem is that I can't, also I cannot really see where things are going wrong. So here is some code to peruse if you're curious about helping,
Thanks in advance :D

%A gaussian wavepacket
asimParam %physical constants [SI units]

%experimental parameters
k0=0; %planewave with this wavenumber is modulated by a Gaussian
w=100e-6; %Gaussian width parameter

%simulation parameters
stdDevNum=6; %number of standard deviations before truncation
disp(['Proportion of total Gaussian within (' num2str(stdDevNum) ') std dev. :'...
num2str(erf(stdDevNum/sqrt(2)))]);

%calculate the maximum momentum to use before truncating the Gaussian, this
%is done in terms of the maximum number of std. dev. to consider. This can
%be done because an explicit form of the std dev. is known (See Sakurai)
stdDevX=w/sqrt(2);
xMax=stdDevNum*stdDevX;
grX=1024; %make sure this is base 2pwr as this optimises fft

x=linspace(-xMax,xMax,grX)';
dx=x(2,1)-x(1,1);

%calculate the x-space wavefunction |psi(x,t=0)>
xPsi=1/(pi^(1/4)*sqrt(w))*exp(i*k0*x-x.^2/(2*w^2));

rhoPsiX=conj(xPsi).*xPsi; %rho as a func of x
rhoPsiXint=sum(dx*rhoPsiX); %sum of density (step size uniform);

%Momentum space wavefunction: |phi(p,t=0)>
%First use the explicit form given in Sakurai, then compare the fft
%function in Matlab to ensure things are working correctly.
pPhiAn=@(pIn)sqrt(w/(hb*sqrt(pi)))*exp(-(pIn-hb*k0).^2*w.^2/(2*hb^2));
stdDevP=hb/(sqrt(2)*w);
N=grX; %same number of points as for x-space
dk=1/(N*dx); %such that Fourier transform has correct units
dp=hb*dk; %now rescale to momentum

%pMax=stdDevP*stdDevNum;
pMax=dp*N/2;
pIn=linspace(-(pMax+hb*k0), (pMax+hb*k0), N)';
pPhiS=pPhiAn(pIn);
rhoPhiPs=conj(pPhiS).*pPhiS;
rhoPhiPsInt=sum(dp*rhoPhiPs); %sum of density (step size uniform);

%Now using Matlab's fft
pPhi=fftshift(fft(xPsi));
rhoPhiP=conj(pPhi).*pPhi;

%test if it works back to x-space
xPsiF=ifft(fft(xPsi));
rhoPsiXF=conj(xPsiF).*xPsiF;

%The rest of this m-file is comprised of plotting

Physics news on Phys.org
the wavepackets and%obtaining various statistical properties of the wavepackets.%Plotting x-spacefigure(1)clf;plot(x,real(xPsi),'r',x,imag(xPsi),'b')title('x-space: Wavefunction real(r) and Imaginary(b)');xlabel('x [m]');ylabel('\psi(x) [a.u]');legend('Re','Im');grid on%plotting p-spacefigure(2)clf;plot(pIn,real(pPhiAn(pIn)),'r',pIn,imag(pPhiAn(pIn)),'b')title('p-space: Wavefunction real(r) and Imaginary(b)');xlabel('p [kg m/s]');ylabel('\phi(p) [a.u]');legend('Re','Im');grid on%plotting x-space densityfigure(3)clf;plot(x,rhoPsiX)title('x-space: \rho(x)');xlabel('x [m]');ylabel('\rho(x) [a.u]');grid on%plotting p-space densityfigure(4)clf;plot(pIn,rhoPhiP)title('p-space: \rho(p)');xlabel('p [kg m/s]');ylabel('\rho(p) [a.u]');grid on</code>A:There seem to be two issues with the code you provided. One is the scaling error, and the other is the incorrect calculation of $\phi$.The scaling error can be fixed simply by multiplying $p\phi$ by a normalization factor:<blockquote><p><span class="math-container">$$p\phi \rightarrow \frac{p}{

Related to [Matlab] FFT Gaussian x-space -> p-space scalings.

1. What is the purpose of using FFT in Matlab when dealing with Gaussian x-space to p-space scalings?

The purpose of using FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) in Matlab is to efficiently convert a signal or function from the time or spatial domain (x-space) to the frequency or spectral domain (p-space). This is particularly useful when dealing with Gaussian distributions, as FFT can accurately and quickly calculate the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function.

2. How does FFT work in Matlab when converting from x-space to p-space?

In Matlab, FFT uses a mathematical algorithm to decompose a signal or function into its individual frequency components. When converting from x-space to p-space, FFT takes the discrete samples of the signal in the time or spatial domain and computes the amplitudes and phases of the corresponding frequency components in the frequency or spectral domain. This allows for a faster and more accurate calculation of the Fourier transform compared to traditional methods.

3. What are the scaling factors involved in converting from Gaussian x-space to p-space using FFT in Matlab?

The main scaling factors involved in this conversion are the number of data points or samples, the sampling rate, and the frequency or spatial resolution. The number of data points determines the resolution and accuracy of the Fourier transform, while the sampling rate and resolution determine the range and spacing of the frequency or spectral components.

4. Are there any limitations or considerations to keep in mind when using FFT in Matlab for Gaussian x-space to p-space conversions?

One limitation to keep in mind is the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, which states that the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency component in order to avoid aliasing. This means that the sampling rate must be carefully chosen to accurately represent the Gaussian function in both the time or spatial domain and the frequency or spectral domain. Additionally, FFT assumes that the input signal is periodic, so care must be taken when dealing with non-periodic functions.

5. Can FFT be used for other types of functions besides Gaussian distributions in Matlab?

Yes, FFT can be used for a wide range of functions in Matlab, including non-Gaussian distributions. However, the accuracy and efficiency may vary depending on the specific function and its properties. It is important to understand the limitations and considerations of using FFT for different types of functions in order to obtain accurate results.