Maths - writing neutrino states in different forms

In summary, the author is trying to work through a see-saw model derivation and is stuck. He has tried lots of sources but the difference in conventions doesn't fill him with confidence when combining these sources. He needs to get from ##\overline{\nu_L^c} \nu_R^c + h.c## to ##\overline{\nu_R} \nu_L + h.c.## However, he is unsure if this is possible or if he has made a mistake. Any input would be much appreciated.
Soph_the_Oaf
Hello

I'm trying to work through a see-saw model derivation and I've become a bit stuck. I've tried lots of sources but the difference in conventions doesn't fill me with confidence when combining these sources.

I need to get from

## \overline{ \nu_L^c } \nu_R^c + h.c ##

to

## \overline{ \nu_R } \nu_L + h.c. ##I know the +h.c. allows me to take the h.c. at any point.
And I know the identities for charge conjugation:

## \nu_L^c = C \overline{ \nu_L }^T ##

## \overline{ \nu_L^c } = - \nu_L^T C^\dagger ##

but I still can't work it out!Either this is possible, in which case i'd love someone to give me a hint/identity, or they are not equal and I have made a mistake somewhere. Eitherway any input would much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should not have to take the hermitian conjugate. In both expressions, you have the conjugate of ##\nu_R## and you have ##\nu_L## without conjugate. I suggest transposing the gamma matrix structure and using that neutrino fields are fermionic.

Hello

Thanks for the reply and sorry to bother you again, but I still can't get there.

I'll state the relations I have been using incase I have made a mistake or muddled conventions up.
I am assuming all these formulae are the same for LH and RM so please correct me if that is not true for any.

1. ## \overline{ \nu_L } = \nu_L^{\dagger} \gamma^0 ##

2. ## \nu_L^c = C \overline{ \nu_L }^T ## which implies (checked in a book) ## \overline{ \nu_L^c } = - \nu_L^T C^{\dagger} ##

3. ## C C^{\dagger} = 1 ##
So I start with
## \overline{ \nu_L^c } \nu_R^c ## and use (2) to get

## \overline{ \nu_L^c } C \overline{ \nu_R }^T ## then use (1) to get

## \overline{ \nu_L^c } C ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 )^T ## and use (2) to get

## - \nu_L^T C^{\dagger} C ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 )^T ## and use (3)

## - \nu_L^T ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 )^T ## and rearrange

## - ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \nu_L )^T ## and use (1) to get

## - (\overline{\nu_R} \nu_L )^T ## ... but what I am trying to get to is ## \overline{ \nu_R} \nu_L ## and I'm not sure if this is even possible

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You are almost there. The point is that the transpose you have is simply the transpose of a 1x1 matrix. I would suggest you think a bit extra about the following step:
Soph_the_Oaf said:
## - \nu_L^T ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 )^T ## and rearrange

## - ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \nu_L )^T ##

It is fine with regards to the matrix structure, but there may be a sign hidden here somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the transpose of a 1D matrix part... but I really can't see the minus.

## - \nu_L^T ( \nu_R^{\dagger} \gamma^0 )^T ## using (1)

## = -\nu_L^T ( \overline{ \nu_R } )^T ##

## = - ( \overline{ \nu_R } \nu_L )^T ##

which, as you pointed out ## = - \overline{ \nu_R } \nu_L ##

Am I missing something to do with the gamma matrix? ## \gamma^0 ## is hermitian, right? and it is real ... so ## (\gamma^{0} )^T = \gamma^0 ## . Or is this where my understanding breaks down?

Thanks again.

Neutrinos are fermions so the field values are Grassman numbers.

Ahhh, of course, how obvious! Sorry, it's been a while since I've done any of this. Thank you

Related to Maths - writing neutrino states in different forms

1. What is a neutrino state?

A neutrino state is a quantum state that describes the properties and behavior of a neutrino, a subatomic particle that has very little mass and interacts weakly with other particles. Neutrinos have three different types or flavors: electron, muon, and tau, and each type has an associated neutrino state.

2. How is a neutrino state written in mathematical form?

A neutrino state can be written in mathematical form using a vector with four components, known as the Dirac spinor. The four components represent the amplitude of the neutrino in each of the four possible states: electron neutrino, electron antineutrino, muon neutrino, and muon antineutrino.

3. What are the different forms of writing neutrino states?

There are three different forms of writing neutrino states: Dirac, Majorana, and flavor. The Dirac form includes both neutrinos and antineutrinos and is used to describe neutrinos in the Standard Model of particle physics. The Majorana form only includes neutrinos and is used to describe neutrinos as their own antiparticles. The flavor form describes the neutrino based on its associated flavor.

4. How do you convert between the different forms of neutrino states?

To convert between the different forms of neutrino states, you can use mathematical transformations known as unitary matrices. These matrices allow you to switch between the different components of the neutrino state vector, such as changing from flavor to Dirac or Majorana form.

5. How does writing neutrino states in different forms impact scientific research?

The different forms of writing neutrino states are important in understanding the properties and behavior of neutrinos. By being able to convert between the different forms, scientists can better study and analyze neutrino interactions and their role in the universe. It also allows for more accurate predictions and calculations in experiments involving neutrinos, such as in particle accelerators or astrophysical observations.