Maths books should be read both forwards and backwards?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sherlock1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about someone remembering a quote or variation of a quote that involves reading mathematics books forwards and backwards, possibly related to Lagrange. They are unsure of the exact wording or who said it. The conversation then shifts to discussing Marlow's play Faustus and the use of incantations and magic to command devils.
Sherlock1
I'm not sure where, but I remember reading something like that somewhere. It said 'mathematics should be read both forwards and backwards' or 'maths books should be read both forwards and backwards' or some variation of that, but I'm not sure exactly. I also remember it sort of had something to do with Lagrange, but whether he's the one who said it, I don't know. Does anyone know the exact quote or the person who said it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be misremembering Marlow's diabolical play:

FAUSTUS.
Now that the gloomy shadow of the night,
Longing to view Orion's drizzling look,
Leaps from th' antartic world unto the sky,
And dims the welkin with her pitchy breath,
Faustus, begin thine incantations,
And try if devils will obey thy hest,
Seeing thou hast pray'd and sacrific'd to them.
Within this circle is Jehovah's name,
Forward and backward anagrammatiz'd
Th' abbreviated names of holy saints,
Figures of every adjunct to the heavens,
And characters of signs and erring stars,
By which the spirits are enforc'd to rise:
Then fear not, Faustus, to be resolute,
And try the utmost magic can perform.

CB (Devil) (Devil) (Devil)

Last edited:

Related to Maths books should be read both forwards and backwards?

1. Why should maths books be read both forwards and backwards?

Reading maths books both forwards and backwards can help improve understanding and retention of mathematical concepts. It allows for a deeper exploration of the material and can reveal patterns and connections that may not be apparent when reading only forwards.

2. How does reading a maths book backwards differ from reading it forwards?

Reading a maths book backwards requires a different approach and mindset. Instead of focusing on the end goal or solution, it encourages critical thinking and problem-solving by working backwards from the solution. This can help develop analytical skills and improve comprehension of mathematical concepts.

3. Is reading a maths book backwards beneficial for all levels of mathematics?

Yes, reading a maths book backwards can be beneficial for all levels of mathematics. It can be especially helpful for advanced topics or complex equations, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the material and can reveal alternative methods of solving problems.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for reading a maths book backwards?

Some techniques for reading a maths book backwards include starting with the solution and working backwards to the problem, using visualization and diagrams to aid in understanding, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Can reading a maths book backwards improve test-taking skills?

Yes, reading a maths book backwards can improve test-taking skills by developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also help students approach problems from different angles and strategies, leading to improved performance on exams.