Mathematics with engineering electives

In summary: So if you do not have an engineering degree then you will not be able to take any of the engineering courses.
wamozart
I am a student who is interested in both mathematics and engineering. I want to pursue a degree in mathematics, but because of its relatively small job prospects, I wish to take some engineering electives.
However, I have a strong feeling that, unlike actuarial positions, engineering positions almost always require a specific degree in engineering (or a license or something). So I was wondering if taking engineering electives, but specialize in a particular concentration (e.g. only taking Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics courses as opposed to taking all mechnical engineering core courses), will enhance the chance of getting a job at a company that specilize in Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics. Or do most Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics companys expect you to know broad knowledge in mechanical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first check with the universities you are considering. Pretty much all courses have prerequisites, so you might not be able to take Heat Transfer without taking 1st year mechanics for example.

Secondly, you will be competing against mechanical engineering majors who have taken many more applied classes, and have most likely partaken in engineering projects in school.

MECHster said:
I would first check with the universities you are considering. Pretty much all courses have prerequisites, so you might not be able to take Heat Transfer without taking 1st year mechanics for example.

Secondly, you will be competing against mechanical engineering majors who have taken many more applied classes, and have most likely partaken in engineering projects in school.

I have checked prerequisites and it turns out to be there is only one engineering calculus course is required of which most of its materials are presumably covered by taking calculus for math majors.

Well, I thought demands for engineering excels supply, but since you have said that I will be "competing" against engineering majors, it is the other way around, isn't it?

Has anyone done a double degree in mathematics and engineering and is willing to share your experience?

p.s. If I go to a graduate school in engineering, would I have better job prospect? or is the P.Eng designation must be attained during my undergraduate years?

Hey wamozart and welcome to the forums.

Just to sure I would double check if you can actually do engineering courses if you are not enrolled in an engineering degree.

At my university they don't let you do this really, but if they do it at your university then that is great.

The thing is that at least here an engineering degree is pretty strict and all of the courses in engineering will always (at least after second year) be based solely on passing previous engineering specific units.

Related to Mathematics with engineering electives

1. What is the difference between Mathematics with engineering electives and other math-based majors?

Mathematics with engineering electives is a specialized major that combines the fundamentals of mathematics with specific engineering courses. This allows students to apply mathematical principles and problem-solving techniques to engineering problems.

2. What kind of engineering electives are typically included in this major?

The engineering electives included in this major vary by university, but they often include courses in areas such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering. Some programs may also offer electives in computer science or materials science.

3. Is this major suitable for students who are interested in both math and engineering?

Yes, this major is a great fit for students who have a strong interest in both math and engineering. It allows students to explore the intersection of these two fields and gain a well-rounded education that combines theoretical and practical knowledge.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of this major?

Graduates of Mathematics with engineering electives can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and telecommunications. They can also work in research and development, data analysis, and consulting.

5. What skills are essential for success in this major?

To succeed in this major, students should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and principles. They should also have good problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team and communicate effectively.