Mathematicians who write like Vladimir Arnold

• Thread starter Snicker
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for math books with clear and easy-to-understand writing styles, similar to that of V.I. Arnold and Tristan Needham. The conversation also mentions authors such as M.A. Armstrong, John Baez, George Shilov, and John Milnor who have been praised for their clear writing. The individual also mentions a thread on MO discussing books with similar styles to Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis."
Snicker
"What he needed was a notion, not a notation" ~ Gauss.​

I have a copy of several books by V.I. Arnold. If you have read him, then you would agree: He is one hell of a clear writer. His books contain some of the most technical information yet manages to read like novels. I want all my math books to be written with similar clarity.

Thus far, I have found a bit of Arnold in M.A. Armstrong (Groups and Symmetry and Basic Topology), John Baez (does not write a lot of books -- but a lot of expository articles), or George Shilov (Elementary Real and Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra, Functional Analysis).

Sheldon Axler, in the preface of Linear Algebra Done Right, claims that if one reads a page in a math book in under an hour, she is doing something wrong. He is correct, but I want a book in which I can read through it like a novel and understand the main points of the exposition without having to understand every little notational detail.

Therefore, do you know of any authors who, like V.I. Arnold, puts in that effort to make their books as clear as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Milnor.

I've only read the first 2 chapters but I plan on reading this book in the summer --> Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham. It's incredible.

I later found this thread on MO about books in this style: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/3...h-books-close-to-the-style-of-tristan-needham

Hopefully, homeomorphic jumps in this thread because that's where I heard about VCA by Needham.

Related to Mathematicians who write like Vladimir Arnold

What is the significance of mathematicians who write like Vladimir Arnold?

The writing style of Vladimir Arnold, a renowned mathematician, is highly regarded in the mathematical community for its clarity, conciseness, and elegance. Many mathematicians strive to emulate his writing style in their own work.

What are some key characteristics of Vladimir Arnold's writing style?

Vladimir Arnold's writing is known for its simplicity, precision, and creativity. He often used vivid imagery and analogies to explain complex mathematical concepts in a way that is easily understood by readers.

How can I improve my mathematical writing to be more like Vladimir Arnold?

To improve your mathematical writing, it is important to practice writing clearly and concisely. Pay attention to the structure and flow of your writing and use simple and precise language. Reading and studying Vladimir Arnold's work can also help you understand and incorporate his writing style in your own work.

Are there any resources available to help me learn more about Vladimir Arnold's writing style?

Yes, there are several resources available such as books, articles, and lectures that discuss and analyze Vladimir Arnold's writing style. Some institutions also offer workshops or seminars on mathematical writing, which may include discussions on Arnold's writing style.

What impact has Vladimir Arnold's writing style had on the field of mathematics?

Vladimir Arnold's writing style has had a profound impact on the field of mathematics. His clear and creative approach to explaining complex concepts has made mathematics more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. His writing has also influenced future generations of mathematicians, who strive to improve their writing skills and emulate his style.