Mathematical modeling of a feedback control system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a compound pendulum with a mounted dc motor and the challenge of creating a mathematical model due to its non-linear nature. The individual is seeking advice on how to approach the problem and is advised to use numerical methods due to the system's inherent non-linearity.
dpk707
My system is a compound pendulum hinged at some distance from one end and have a propeller mounted dc motor at the other end. I wish to position the pendulum with the help of motor propeller system.
I tried but i am unable to get a mathematical model for it. I am getting a non linear model that has terms of sin and cos. I am taking theta(the angle) as the output and current as input.
Please also suggest the approach i should follow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A system like this will always be non-linear unless you restrict your model to a very small range of angles, so there isn't much you can do about it. The "solution" is simply to use numerical methods.

Related to Mathematical modeling of a feedback control system

What is mathematical modeling of a feedback control system?

Mathematical modeling of a feedback control system is the process of using mathematical equations and algorithms to represent the behavior of a system, such as a machine or a process, and its feedback control mechanism.

Why is mathematical modeling important in feedback control systems?

Mathematical modeling allows engineers and scientists to understand and predict the behavior of a feedback control system, and to design and optimize its performance before physically implementing it. This can save time, money, and resources, as well as ensure the system's stability and reliability.

What are the steps involved in mathematical modeling of a feedback control system?

The steps involved in mathematical modeling of a feedback control system include defining the system's objectives, identifying its components and their relationships, selecting or developing appropriate mathematical equations, and validating the model's accuracy and performance.

What are some common mathematical techniques used in modeling feedback control systems?

Some common mathematical techniques used in modeling feedback control systems include differential equations, transfer functions, state-space representation, and Laplace transforms. These techniques help to describe the system's dynamics, stability, and response to different inputs.

What are some real-world applications of mathematical modeling of feedback control systems?

Mathematical modeling of feedback control systems has a wide range of applications, including robotics, manufacturing processes, environmental control, traffic and transportation systems, and biomedical systems. It is also used in fields such as economics, ecology, and social sciences to study complex systems and their feedback mechanisms.